740iL steering judder

Page 2 of 2

So common that I have never heard it of less still experienced it, and I have had four.
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

On my 3 the brake shudder was control arm bushes and on my 7 the thrust arm thing.

Had this on my 635, my fiance's E34 Alpina B10, my mate's 525i, my 525e, my other mate's 525iX and his E32 730i :-)
The centre tie rod was replaced 4000 miles ago at 59,000 miles.
I've just phoned my local BMW Main Dealer and they say (predictably) that it could be almost anything.
I then phoned my local independent BMW garage and he says without hesitation it's warped brake discs.
pbmitchell wrote:

That's predictable too but as likely as not to be wrong.
Well, the car's going in to the independent BMW dealer on MOnday morning.
I'll keep everyone informed of developments.
Well, the Independent BMW guy road tested the car said the judder doesn't feel like the usual judder caused by warped brake discs.
He took the wheels off and reported that both discs are rusted on the insides and the edges, the offside lower control arm and bush are worn out and the nearside control arm isn't great either.
It'll be ready tomorrow about lunchtime.
Well, the Independent BMW guy road tested the car said the judder doesn't feel like the usual judder caused by warped brake discs.
He took the wheels off and reported that both discs are rusted on the insides and the edges, the offside lower control arm and bush are worn out and the nearside control arm isn't great either.
It'll be ready tomorrow about lunchtime.

They're right to say so.

Find another garage. You can't diagnose this sort of thing accurately over the phone anymore than on a newsgroup.
In terms of the most *likely* reason I'd plump for steering/suspension wear before all others.
--
*Horn broken. - Watch for finger.

Which is easy to verify with a dial gauge - measure radial runout before you throw more money at somebody's wild guesses.
Wise words, Richard.
I've just looked up the meaning of 'radial runout' and apparently it means the extent to which the disc's radius varies or (in my own words) the extent to which the disc is not a true circle.

Oh. I thought it was side to side wobble. I had a car once that had the same symptoms and was told they put a dial gauge on it to measure radial runout, found it was really bad, told me they were warped, put on new rotors and fixed it when 3 other shops just charged me a forture for things that didn't fix it.
We always assume new parts are flawless. This is not always true and sometimes they don't stay new long. Good luck.