80 633csi Tappet noise

I have a 80 633csi with 100kmiles on it. I just bought it and the prior original owner told me the tappets could be adjusted. He never did it cause the mechanic told him it was not necessary. Never done.
I took the car into the dealer to have the work done (inexpensive) and the tappets still make noise after warmed up. Is this normal?? It's not real loud but I wouldn't think that one shouldn't hear much of anything. from under the valve cover if they're adjusted correctly. Am I too picky?? Also, they adjusted the tappets with the engine cold. Any thoughts, Fred.

If it runs fine and has good compression, I wouldn't worry about it. BMW motors are clicky at best... if you adjust all the noise out of them, they don't run right.
-Russ.
Did they adjust the valves? After having them adjusted they'll probably quiet down a bit, but would get noisy again in a short while. BMW engines tend to be pretty clattery, but usually when they warm up they smooth out. I know with these engines there's an issue with failure to get oil to the cam, but I don't remember the specifics. (Perhaps someone else can chime in here?) But if a mechanic looked at it, hopefully he'd have noticed. Did they give you an idea of how the cam looks as far as wear? What grade of oil are you using? What brand filter? It sounds silly, but with Audi's for instance, if you use a Fram filter (or something else off the shelf) the 12v 6 will clatter pretty badly, but if you put an Audi filter in it quiets down.
Mark.
Fred wrote:

I know the E32 735i had a bad banjo bolt design, which would sometimes fail to deliver oil to the front-most cam lobe. The retrofit is cheap and easy, with the factory-recommended updated banjo bolt replacement. I'm not sure if the varient of the motor in a 1980 633 would have that issue also, or not.
-Russ.

A slight leak in the exhaust manifold gasket sounds just like tappet noise on the M30.

I speak from *much* experience here as I have bought very cheaply over a dozen M30 engined E23/28s with this problem. New cam and followers (and modified bolts from the BMW dealer) and all is well with the world. But yes, I too had cracks in the rearmost ex-manifold but these got quiter when hot. JB

What kind of dollars do the parts run you? I found M30 cams (E32) to be fearsomly expensive. Made me wonder if we were looking in the right places.
-Russ.