84 733i Help

For the past six months, I have been trying to fix my 733i . It seems like a vacuum leak but I can not find it. The symptoms very but now it starts well
but well idle between 1700 and 1900 rpm. But before that, when it was cold, it started and run great for about 30 minutes. While it was running well, I drove up and go fresh gas. What can it be? Larry

If it's idling that high you have a stuck idle control valve or a vacuum leak.

Or a bad airflow meter?
FloydR
Floyd Rogers wrote:

Or perhaps a leak in the large flexible hose between the airflow meter and the intake manifold? The nice part about that one is that it's easy to diagnose and fix. Just flex it a bit and see if the idle changes. If the idle changes, that's the problem.
Ed
I believe it to be a vacuum leak but cannot find one. The gasmilage gauge/vacuum meter fluctuates full scale both ways. How can there be that big of a vacuum leak? Is there any way to check or repair the idle control valve? Any ideas would be appreciated. Larry
John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland

Easy, my 635 did it once. A 1" hose blew off the intake manifold, think the other end went to the idle control valve.
John - Thanks but I checked the idle control valve and the hoses look good and tight. Larry
John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland

L. D. Mormino wrote:

Did you read Mr. Beroset's post? THAT is how there can be "that big of a vacuum leak." Get back to us with the results. -- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)
Yes, I read and did those things. The idle valve works but I don't know if it working correctly. It snaps open and shut when I plug and unplug it. It looked good to me. The hose, including the accordion hose were taken off and inspected. The look very good; too good to be original. I am still looking and hoping that it will fix itself. Thanks for all the ideas. Larry

I gave up and sold the car; but thanks for the input. This group is great. Larry