840.. how expensive are these to keep running

I seem to be getting attracted to the 840, well more to the 850 but I'm sure the 850 is a *real* money pit.
How much care and maintenance would an 840 need? If I bought a 'decent'
one with, say, about 100k or so on the clock is it something that could be kept on the road within a reasonable annual budget? Or, is it a real enthusiast's car needing frequent tinkering and costing 1500 plus per year just to keep it up to scratch without even thinking about using it?

The idea is to only look at cars with a full service history. That's the real trick to buying a good used BMW. I run an E38 730i V8 which is similar in complexity to your 840i. It's pretty reliable.
snipped-for-privacy@burnt.org.uk wrote:

I had a 750iL which uses the same engine as the 850 and found it reliable and reasonable to maintain, with regular oil & filter changes etc easy enough. Plug changes were a bit of a pain but OK
--
Steve Parry
K100RS SE & F650