840Ci and 840Ci Sport; what are the differences?

Would somebody here be able to tell me what the differences are between the 4.4L 840Ci and 840Ci Sport.

Did the Sport replace the 'normal' 4.4L 840 or, were they sold side-by- side.

Was the Sport sold in the US?

Many thanks!

Reply to
wildatheart

According to Parker's Guide

840 Ci launched Nov' '93 840 Ci Sport launched Jan' '97 and added M-Sport suspension and wheels, front spoiler and leather sports seats. Cost ~£1,000 ($2k) more, similar difference in used price.

There was slight overlap, but the sport more or less superceded the Ci, and the manual option seems to have disappeared.

Production appears to have ceased ~1999.

There were also 850 variants - e.g. 850CSi.

The 6 series emerged later as a long term replacement.

If you like a sporty car that with BMW reliability, have a look at the 645i with manual box - a mate has one and it is very nice.

Contrast that with a TVR that a neighbour has: -

Loud exahust to attract police. Mechanical failures galore. Not very comfy. Leaks. Maker went bust so parts availability compromised in the long term, plus who will service it?

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Thanks! Were there any differences in terms of engine or transmission between a 4.4l 840Ci and 840Ci Sport?

Reply to
wildatheart

If it's anythign like the 740 then the engine is the same but the diff ratio is higher. Also with the auto box is has a lower lock-up speed.

Reply to
adder1969

It looks like the sport was only available with an auto box in the UK. I have a suspicion that manual 8 series were never available in the USA.

Having had two 735i manuals, and without being too pejorative, I would have thought that a big engine matched to a hefty box would be unsuitable for the US market.

The six series comes with three transmission options: - 6sp Auto, 6sp sequential auto and 6sp manual.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote

That is not true. The 850i and 850Csi were available with 6spd manual in the US. However, no variant of the 840i was. It's not too hard to do conversions.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

Apart from fitting the box, changing the pedals and replacing the EMU...

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

I'm 99% certain you could get a six speed manual in the UK sport.

Reply to
John Burns

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote

I didn't say cheap: