'87 325i cab

Hi all,
I'm considering buying a '87 E30 325i cabriolet. The car looks promising, without too much rust. Brakelines, fuel lines, cabriolet have been changed the last two years, same with the calipers and brakediscs.
I am mostly worried about the engine and worn camshafts, bad compression, oil leak and things like that.
Other than what I have mentioned what should I look out for?
--
snipped-for-privacy@dod.no
BBO wrote:

I just bought an 87 325i Cabrio & love it. I have been told that they only weak feature on these cars is the power top mechanism if fittied. Mine has the manual top so the problem does not exist for me.

Whee! Bought one myself, and drove it back home on saturday. Awesome car, and it very good condition. Former owner is a mechanic and he have really done a good job with the car.
Here it is:
http://home.no.net/azoth/325icab.jpg
--
snipped-for-privacy@dod.no

A well maintained M20 lasts forever. Keep up with cambelt changes, though.
--
*One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.

Yeah, the one I got had 10k km left before the cambelts were due, but the car had been stored for some time so I opted to change them right away. Same with oil, filter, servo-belts and alternator-belts.
Good to know the status of things that might cost serious bucks if it breaks.
--
snipped-for-privacy@dod.no

Soft brake lines too, I think fall into the category. They should not be on a car if five years old or older and are all date coded. It's a good idea to change the brake fluid every year as well whcih can extend the life of the calipers to absurdly long lives if you do this.
snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) writes:

There are new steelbraided brakelines and new calipers on the car... ;-) The brake fluid has to be changed though. It's black. I also discovered yesterday that the engine was resting directly on the metal. All rubber of the enginemounts was just bits and pieces of rubber. So I changed that too. Rear mounts were also gone.
The slip clutch on the engine fan was gone as well, and the rotor and distributor cap looked like it was never changed. Tips were all worn out. The sparkplugs looked good. No deposit to talk of, but worn. So they were changed too.
So there is plenty of work to do on the car, but overall it is a very good car. Not as good as it intially looked, but far over the average condition of the other cars I have looked at.
--
snipped-for-privacy@dod.no
Just gone through the car and changed a lot of stuff, now it is just some big things left, but all in all the car is now good to go for years to come. Here is the latest picture: