88 325 - how do you drop the steering column?

Hello, I need to replace the turn signal switch on my '88 325 automatic. The plastic bottom cover of the column comes off after removing the steering wheel but it looks like the top piece can only be freed by dropping the column. Any pointers on how to do this? Thank you.

Reply to
cosmo

I did that surgery on a '90 325i once .... IIRC mine had tilt steering with the release lever across the bottom of the column ... don't suppose it's that easy is it? If not I'll try to dig up the repair manual I used and see what it says you have to take off.

Reply to
Grizz

I discovered you don't need to drop the column after all to change the turn signal switch. It appears the column is captured by a welded support designed perhaps to absorb collision impact or something. Anyway, I fixed the switches and everything is skookum now. Thanks for your response.

Reply to
cosmo