88 535i rough ride

Page 2 of 2

Exactly, and they told me my car was unsafe. It is not an airplane. My mechanic said if the frame came apart, I would have lots of warning, like shaking and whatever.

Perhaps the moral of the story is don't go too high with the doors open!

No cracks started in the corners of the square windows and propagated all the way round the fuselage. The metal was too thin as well.

Correct this was diagnosed, but not acted upon by by ?Turkish? Airlines, whose DC10 crached near Paris, when the door came off, hold depresurised and the floor collapsed (sucked) into the hold severing control cables.

This was a crash at Chicago. Bad maintenance practice (fork lift) overstressed mounting bolts, which sheered in service. OTOH the plane should have survived this.
Other 'involuntary retirements' of DC10's include: -
San Diego - instructor allowed trainee to fly a light aircraft into the glide path and collide with DC10.
Mount Erebus (Antartica) - Air New Zealand pilot over ruled navigator and flew below known height of terrain in poor visibility and hit the ground. CFIT
Other notable sillies with Airbus
France - test pilot over-rode automatic at show and failed to avoid forest - CFIT Bangalore - 6 week old plane crashed at airport (pilot error) probably CFIT Strassbourg - co pilot set 10X descent rate; pilot failed to observe altimeter; CFIT Russia - Aeroflot pilot put his eight year old son in charge of controls - spiralled into the ground.
The last won a Darwin Award.