89 BMW 325ic key won't open lock

Page 1 of 2
I locked my 325ic with a key tonight and when it turned to the lock position, it then went one step further to the far right. Now it is locked in that position and my key can't unlock it. Someone told me
it's an automatic deadbolt lock and I tried lifting the door handle as I turned the key but to no avail. Does anybody know how to unlock it? I called one dealership and they said it doesn't have a deadbolt system. The other said it did and to lift up on the handle. Another said to somehow open the hood and disconnect the battery. Another said to kick the front bumper simulating an accident and all locks would open. Does anybody know if this has a deadbolt that I can override or is it just broken? Thanks for any help Robert C ( snipped-for-privacy@mcg.net)
snipped-for-privacy@mcg.net wrote:

The deadbolt they are talking about is called "double locking" but your key should be able to undo it.
--
-Fred W

Fred, If the key doesn't open it normally, do you know any "tricks" to open it?
The "lift the handle" trick only works on the passenger side door --- AFAIK
On 23 Jan 2006 09:42:00 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@mcg.net wrote:

Josh Assing wrote:

Yes, I recall that too.
--
-Fred W

Fred W wrote:

Here's a link to an E30 central locking troubleshooting FAQ
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e30/interior/door_locks/e30_central_lock_faq.html
--
-Fred W

That's a great link and I should find an answer in there somewhere. My only problem is if I have to remove the door panel to get at the lock cylinder, how do I get inside the car in the first place? Right now the only thing I can think of is to break the passenger window and crawl through? Before I do that I'll check and see if the fuse is good. (I got the hood opened from the outside) Thanks Fred
snipped-for-privacy@mcg.net wrote:

Have you tried the passenger door?
--
-Fred W

I tried the passenger door trick and it didn't work either. Hmmm.Since I bought this car used I wonder if the key I have may be the valet key (except it opens the trunk and locks it just fine, but opening the trunck with that key does not unlock the doors)
if your doors are double locked; the valet key will do nothing.
On 23 Jan 2006 12:27:35 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@mcg.net wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mcg.net wrote:

I was able to unlock the doors on my 88 325iS from the trunk lock using the master key. I assume this would be true for an 89 IF you really have the master key AND your battery isn't kaput. Have you checked the voltage at the "jump" terminal under the hood?
Lemuel Johnson
ive gotten in my 88 325is by using a triangular wooden "wedge" to pry the door open enough to get a coat hanger through and pop the lock knob(won't say which idiot locked the keys in it lol)...gl...dave
snipped-for-privacy@mcg.net wrote:

Well, my battery is good, fuse is good and key still cannot unlock the door. I called one dealership and the service guy said BMW's didn't have a double lock system. The parts dept at the other BMW dealer said a "slimjim" would easily work to open the door. He said the 325 BMW is the easiest car on the road to break into. Other guys say he doesn't know what he's talking about. I'm amazed at the variety of conflicting info I get from those guys.
I'm willing to try your suggestion but I'm not sure I fully understand it. The wedge goes where? Between the window and the outside panel OR between the door and the rear fender? Where is the "lock knob" located and just how does one pop it? Thanks for helping.
I've got my brick ready and am about to break a window so at least I can get in it, but I'm hoping to avoid that - I live in Minnesota and it's winter !

Just so we know to steer clear of these two dealerships -- who were they?

Price the window first before you break it... If you're really going to go that route -- get a window repair man there & repalce your windshield -- some insurance companys pay for it if there's a "ding" in teh windshield (hint: check with your insurance before you put a ding in it)
When the glass guy pulls the windshield off; climb in; get your owners manual; read it; and realize you do have a double lock system & then open the door from the inside.
The first was Motorworks in Bloomington. (I've had diagnostic problems with them before) The other was the parts dept at Sears Import. These are the only two BMW dealerships I know of in the Minneapolis area.
If I could get inside, should I be able to pull the handle and open the door or does the double locking system prevent even that? Just curious.

Those in Minneapolis area -- take note.

I think the drivers door will open; but I'm not 100% sure -- and it's too early to go to the car to lock myself in ;-)
snipped-for-privacy@mcg.net wrote:

Yes, the double locking prevents the doors from being opened from the inside, so breaking the glass does nothing unless you want to climb through the broken window...
--
-Fred W

Thanks for helping me avoid the pain of broken glass imbedded in my legs. So, right now the only option I can come up with is that the tumblers have broken inside the lock cylinder. If I drill out the lock cylinder and the tumblers fall apart, will the door then open by lifting up on the handle from the outside?
snipped-for-privacy@mcg.net wrote:

I don't know for sure... Let's go over all the info from the Troubleshooting FAQ again...
"If the car is double-locked, the passengers' door double-lock motor prevents the key lock from being rotated so the car can only be unlocked from the driver's door. "
"Unlocking a double-locked car: This action can only be initiated from the driver's door key lock. When the key is rotated CCW from its double-locked position, it releases the ground connection of the unlock inhibit microswitch. (Actually, once this is done, the trunk key lock can also be used to unlock the car.) "
Since you cannot move the drivers lock at all, you will never be able to get out of the "double lock" mode. Also, since you used your key to put the car into double-lock, the same key should be capable of undoing it. You are using the same key, right? The part of the key that engages the double lock is the tip. Is the key worn at all?
One thing that you could try is to get a new key made from the dealership from scratch. That would certainly be worth a shot.
--
-Fred W

On 24 Jan 2006 07:45:03 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@mcg.net wrote:

There is a lever on the back of the lock cylinder that actually binds the mechanism in the door. Another part of that lever assembly closes a switch that locks the central locking controller. If you can drill out the lock, you can dislodge these components and then unlock the doors from the trunk. The switch is what keeps the door(s) other than the drivers door from unlocking. My son's 87 325is driver's side lock is only there for looks, the lever assembly broke and therefore the whole lock is useless. He just locks the car from the trunk.