91 e34 2 litre still over heating

Hi I just changed the water pump and belt, took it for a quick spin and it soon went almost into the red...i just went around the block and got home.
I wasnt in stood traffic, and the fan was spinning, but it soon went over the half way mark. Only thing i can think of is the thermostat thingy...or am i missing something else? thanks

I'll bet you didn't bleed it right.
With a cold engine, remove the radiator cap and open the bleed screw. Have the heater full on.
Run the engine until it gets warm, topping up as needed. When it gets warm put the cap back on and shut the bleed screw. Leave it until the temp gauge is in the middle then open the bleed screw whilst revving the engine lightly. Close the bleed screw when there are no more air bubbles.
Let it cool over night then top up the coolant if needed.
Works for me.
John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland

The bleed screw is on top of the thermostat housing IIRC.
FloydR
wrote

Yes that sounds about right. i thought of that just after i posted my last message...as i was looking at the screw earlier wondering what it was for.......never 'bled' a radiator in 20 years and all my other cars were 70's Toyotas etc, this is my first BMW....i know i sound stupid...im not, its just so new to me, like i have never changed a belt tht was conencted to PAS? etc.

John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 14:00:39 GMT, "Jules"

try putting the front of the car on ramps so the front of the car is up higher, then do the whole bleed procedure again.

it
the
block....i
the
from
ok will try that. the hose into the engine, and the one coming out at the bottom got hot, but the rad stayed cold. we bled it for ages, but the rad stayed cold.....sorry if i sound stupid, never had to bleed a rad ever. thanks