91 e34 2 litre still over heating

Hi I just changed the water pump and belt, took it for a quick spin and it soon went almost into the red...i just went around the block and got home.

I wasnt in stood traffic, and the fan was spinning, but it soon went over the half way mark. Only thing i can think of is the thermostat thingy...or am i missing something else? thanks

Reply to
Jules

I'll bet you didn't bleed it right.

With a cold engine, remove the radiator cap and open the bleed screw. Have the heater full on.

Run the engine until it gets warm, topping up as needed. When it gets warm put the cap back on and shut the bleed screw. Leave it until the temp gauge is in the middle then open the bleed screw whilst revving the engine lightly. Close the bleed screw when there are no more air bubbles.

Let it cool over night then top up the coolant if needed.

Works for me.

Reply to
John Burns

Ok wheres the bleed screw? is that the very bottom of the radiatior?

I did that, kept topping up until it got warm, had it running idle until the gauge hit midway.

ok will try that cheers....never bled a radiator as such. thanks

Reply to
Jules

"Jules" wrote

The bleed screw is on top of the thermostat housing IIRC.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

Yes that sounds about right. i thought of that just after i posted my last message...as i was looking at the screw earlier wondering what it was for.......never 'bled' a radiator in 20 years and all my other cars were

70's Toyotas etc, this is my first BMW....i know i sound stupid...im not, its just so new to me, like i have never changed a belt tht was conencted to PAS? etc. >
Reply to
Jules

I totally did that right...stil the same, i changed the thermostat...same problem, points towards the red v quickly after a spin around the block....i took of teh radiator and flushed it both ways......after a while it came clean, but when put back on, like a hour a ago, it was soon over half on the gauge going towrds red (never let it get into the red though)

SO it must be the radiator then....if i put a water hose in the rubber from the top of the engine, it would come out at the botom after going through the block, so thats ok. its just not circualting, the radiator is always stone cold on the metal fins....

Hope someone else can offer advice....thanks

Reply to
Jules

try putting the front of the car on ramps so the front of the car is up higher, then do the whole bleed procedure again.

Reply to
RT

ok will try that. the hose into the engine, and the one coming out at the bottom got hot, but the rad stayed cold. we bled it for ages, but the rad stayed cold.....sorry if i sound stupid, never had to bleed a rad ever. thanks

Reply to
Jules