92 325i sedan

i was wondering if anyone else with one has had issues with the dme not firing on a certain cylinder. Also does anyone know where to get a cheap replacement its a manual transmission

Reply to
bimmer92325i

I would suspect the coil pack before I suspected the DME. Have you swapped them to see if the problem moves?

Reply to
Fred W

yes i swapped the coils. one time it worked ok for about 30 and yes i did try 3 differnt coils. its to the point at standstill my car shakes, under load theres some vibration in the gas pedal, and from the muffler the air comming out isnt constant. Does that still sound like a DME issue?

Reply to
bimmer92325i

When you swapped the coils did the problem change cylinders? How about the spark plugs?

Reply to
Fred W

1 time out of 3 and the 1 time it only worked for about 30 seconds if that. i changed the plugs no diffence. when im under load under 3000 rpm it shakes above that it doesnt
Reply to
bimmer92325i

I'm nopt following you. 1 time out of 3 it changed which cylinder was misfiring? Or 1 time out of 3 it went away for 30 seconds? The going away part would not be significant. But if it changed cylinders it would be.

Reply to
Fred W

i replaced the same coil 3 diffent times thinking the coil i bought was defective. Now 1 of the 3 coils i did purchase worked for roughly 30 seconds. Also when i hit the gas pedal i get vibration up to 3000 rpms also the car shakes at idle. will a dme fix this

Reply to
bimmer92325i

Possibly, but not likely. Historically the DMEs either work or they don't. There do not usually only fail on one ignition channel. But I s'pose it could happen. Best bet would be to temporarliy swap with a known good one.

Reply to
Fred W

well if its not the coils or the plugs what else could it be. I had the injectors checked there good...?

Reply to
bimmer92325i

It's possible for a power transistor to one cylinder to fail in the DME. If so, it should be a relatively easy repair IF you can find the specs/part # for the transistor.

I just had to replace the fan speed controller in the digital climate control of my 97 328 - apparently power transistor failure. Sudden stop - that's the way they go.

Good luck,

Frank

Reply to
Raybender