92 525i computer problem?

i have a 92 525i with a rough idle .the computer was changed about 3 years ago and now i~m not getting any signal to 2 cylinders.i thinks it`s the computer again but i need to know about matching up the numbers so i can try to find a used ecu.the number on the ecu i have is 261 200 402.i see alot of ecu`s with the same first 6 numbers but the last three are different.can anyone help or know where i can get one.thanks

Reply to
prop

you don't say which country you are posting from but

this guy I can fully recommend for repairs or info

dj

Reply to
Juan Hunglow

Basically the number need to match. But in your case you may find it's just the output transistors that have died, I've seen this before. You can often rob them from a dead ECU and solder them into yours.

Reply to
John Burns

I would guess the ignition coils are toast first.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

If you can rob them from another ECU, can't you simply go to an electonics store and buy a few? This would give one solder-cycle instead of two ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Except for the fact they have a Bosch part number and not even Bosch will tell you what they are or sell replacements :-(

Reply to
John Burns

Well, it's a transistor. It's probably a power transistor, and it you know if it's a PNP or NPN, finding a suitable replacement should be easy.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Always assuming you can use the info printed on it (minimal) to work out things like the gain.

Reply to
John Burns

Haven't had mine apart, but have repaired early Range Rover ones, and they use a Mosfet. That would be my choice as they're rather less likely to short circuit damage. And although it was marked with a house number it was easy enough to calculate a generic replacement.

However, the OP wasn't clear as to whether the fault was to an ignition coil or injectors.

Is there a circuit diagram out there anywhere? The standard way without would be to swap the supposed faulty drive device with a known good one from the same ECU. However, it could also be the trigger circuit and once you get into faulty microprocessors repairs become more tricky.

This site - although in the UK - might be of help. Some very knowledgeable people there and they do re-cons.

Dave Plowman (News)

Many pretty cheap DVMs will do this for you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

thanks for the help guys.i got a used ecu off ebay and should have it tommorrow.i read that the last 3 numbers are critical and 402 is compatable with 403 and 405.can anyone confirm that?thanks again

Reply to
prop