94 540i oil change

I've been told by a local independent BMW service garage that I should expect to do two oil changes per year at approx. $80 each (incl. all materials and labor). That seems a bit high to me, but as a newbie in the BMW world, I don't have any past experience to go from. Thoughts?

Reply to
scfredericks

First, are you using dino oil or synthetic? IF dino, oil and filter should be changed between 3K and 5K miles, depending on the type of driving you do. If synthetic, you can change between 7K and 15K, again depending on how you drive, i.e., city driving/stop and go should be changed sooner.

Next, are you mechanicially-inclined or have any automotive experience? Changing oil is probably one of the few things most people can still do. IF you use dino oil, 6 qts at $1 each plus $5-8 for a filter for a max of what $14-15? Similarly, synthetic oil is a bit more expensive, but cost should be $3-5 per qt, so $18-30 for oil plus another $5 to $8 for filter is $40 for parts max. I say learn to do it yourself and save!

Reply to
bfd

I think the days of quality oil at $1/Qt and synthetic at $3 will never be seen. About the best I've seen recently is 5qt of Mobil 1 for approx $22 at Walmart.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

You'll pay more like $60 for it in the UK for 4 litres.

But anyway, why not use at least what's recommended in the manual and change it when the service indicator tells you to? That's surely what BMW told you. Or get it done at any old garage or do it yourself.

Reply to
adder1969

Far too logical. Your balls tell you when you need an oil change.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think you're confusing this with the "wet shave vs electric" thread :-)

Reply to
adder1969