94' E36 Ignition problems

I have a 94' 318 bmw. Yesterday I drove to the hardwear store and as I got in my car the key turned all the way down without starting. I took the key out and tried it a few times, but still the key turn all the way and car doesn't start. Please help.

Reply to
Bebchikmlatchy

Your lock cylinder is broken. The anti-theft device in it thinks it was being stolen and has broken off the coupling tab. This usually happens when someone tries turning the key when the steering wheel is locked and against one side of the locking cam.

Cure is a new lock cylinder - but I suspect since it's sitting outside the "hardwear" (is that for steel clothing or something?) store - a tow to a dealer should be in your near future plans.

Reply to
admin

BTDT. First, tighten the battery cables.

Reply to
Richard Sexton