'95 525i M50 Fuel Pressure

Hey Folks, Pressure gauge in fuel supply line just before the rail indicates about 40psi system pressure. Bentley manual lists it at 51psi give or take 1psi.
I'm guessing this the cause of my driveability issues lately. This pressure seems way out of range to me. Is anyone out there experienced enough to tell me without a doubt that this will cause driveability problems. I think I know the answer. When the vacuum line to the fuel press regulator is removed, the pressure spikes up as it should, but only up to about 48psi. Pinching off the return line while the engine is running spikes the pressure up above 80psi, so I know the fuel pump is ok. Leak-down test passed. I'm thinking bad fuel press reg. ?
Thanks a lot!
By the way my "guibo" is all torn to shit. Could this cause what appears to be hesitation or miss?? thanks kjb