’97’ 325i coupe keeps cutting out

my 97 325i will cut out without any warning i dont get any engine management light come on, all that happens is it just seems to miss a beat and then misfires, when i switch it off and restart the problem has gone, ?untill the next time? it will run perfectly for days and then some days its hopeless. if anyone knows what could be causing this i?d much appretiate your help.

Reply to
Grumster

Take it to a mechanic who can pull the codes off the engine and see what the ECU is reporting when the system fails. That's the first step. Without seeing that, it could be anything.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is OBD1 or OBD2 specific but you can try the built in diagnostics sequence if you dont have a scantool

My initial thoughts are:

1) water damaged ECU 2) water or oil filled sparkplug chamber (take the coils out to check if they're wet) 3) faulty idle control valve 4) Mass Airflow Sensor defective or wires broken

BlackE87

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Reply to
BlackE87

Get to a shop before you run thru a starter.

Reply to
Nicik Name