97 328is emissions problems

I just bought a 97 328is with 100k miles. Before I can register it, I need to pass emmissions. The first time I went for a test, it failed. I got it diagnosed and got an estimate. They said that I needed 2 new 02 sessors in bank 1. They also recommended that I run some sort of cleaner through the cat to get rid of the carbon, i believe. I replaced the sensors and cleaned the carbon. Had a retest, but the computer aborted. They said I needed to drive it more for the computer to reset. I drove it for another week. At least once a day from hot to cold, about 10 miles each time. Now- I have 20 drive cycles. Went to have a retest at a different garage. The computer aborted again. I have one mechanic telling me to replace the cat I have another mechanic telling me to drive the car more because I need to flush out the cleaner I put through the cat. Does anyone have an opinion? Thanks!!

Reply to
Thebestofsteve2

What does "the computer aborted" mean? The "computer" does not abort. It either passes the emissions test or fails. If it fails they will tell you which parameters are failing.

Also, 10 miles is not far enough to fully warm up the cat. Just because the engine coolant temperature reaches normal does not mean the engine (and especially the cats) is fully up to temp. Take it for a nice long drive for at least an hour or longer. Wring it out a few times (after it comes up to temp). Get the rpms up above 4000 for a while.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

In news:WsKdnYd81fxcgvfenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com, Malt_Hound"

Reply to
Dotcom Computers Ltd

Ditto my E34 520i M50 with over 357,000miles.

Mine too. It's nice when the tester asks "is this mileage right?"

JB

Reply to
JB

Yeah. That's when you tell him, "No, the odometer was on the blink for a couple of hundred thousand miles, so the actual's quite a bit higher!" ;-)

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Thanks Guys, Car passed emmissions today. I put 250 highway miles on her which did the trick.

Steve

Reply to
Thebestofsteve2