98 528 E39 Window Tint & Radio

I just bought this car and had the windows tinted with metallic tint. It destroyed the radio reception, particularly AM. I had them remove it from the rear window and it has somewhat improved, but not as good as it was before I had any window tint at all.

I am hesitant to retint the rear window even with non-metalized tint. If I remove the metalized tint from the front and rear windows will this take the radio reception back to "normal". Logic says it will, but I just don't know anymore.

Is there anything that can be done to boost the AM radio reception without major modifications to the car (drilling a hole in the body to run an external antenna).

Any help is appreciated, Terry terry at NeighborsEnterprises dot com

Reply to
Phred Johnson

"Phred Johnson" wrote

Check the connections in the C pillar to the antenna; they sometimes get corroded (or in your case jarred loose). It's also possible the amp in the antenna circuit is toast (or was shorted by the metallic tint.)

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

There's more than one aerial imbedded in the glass and a guess is that shorting or whatever them may have damaged the amplifier/selector unit. Other possibility is removing the film might have physically damaged one.

I doubt it - it's not of the best when working properly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I removed the metallic window tint from the rear window and the radio reception came back to almost the way that it was before the tint was applied. I suspect if I removed it from the front and rear windows it would come back to 100% of the way that it was. Now I am debating on putting on "non-metalic" film on the rear window. Has anyone done this with any problems?

Reply to
Phred Johnson

NO NO NO leave it on the front - you just might total the car then we would all be safer. Only drive it at night with the lights off though.

Reply to
Oscar

I had the same AM problem on my E39. Metallic tint ruined the reception, the non-metallic restored the reception, and now, 4 years later the tint has held up very well

Reply to
Pepperoni Pizza

Well I finally had the metallic film removed and the radio reception improved dramatically. I drove it around for a while with no tint on. Then I finally took the plunge and put non metalized tint on the rear window. Radio reception did not change.

Just wanted to let you guys know, if anyone cared.

Terry

Reply to
Phred Johnson