98 BMW 328i questions

Looking at a '98 328i with 144K miles, 5-spd.

No repair records whatsoever. The mileage is such that it's heading into the zone of major repairs, IMO. Should I assume that within the next 10K miles I will have to replace: clutch, suspension, gear box, and of course replace the entire cooling system, the water pump and the radiator (by '98, did the water pump still have that plastic impeller in it?)

Reply to
SQ

Clutch and gearbox - No. Cooling system hoses - Yes. Water pump - I would. Radiator - Not quite yet,

Reply to
Bob Smitter

My '94 325 had 220,000 miles with no major repairs done or on the horizon.

My clutch lasted 205k miles. Hardly a major repair, but it did cost $900 installed.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I think a clutch lasting 200k miles.. is a miracle.. mine went at 100k.. There are some warning signs for the clutch but it's not the end of the world, and surprisingly not as expensive as you might think.. I certainly would not expect the gearbox to go EVER.. I don't think your car water pump has the plastic impeller either.. I am pretty sure they were changed before

98.. but.. to be on the safe side replacing the water pump might not be a bad idea, I don't think they're that expensive and it's a DIY job..

Cooling system I would expect to be ok.. perhaps hoses perishing.. and obvious regular maintenance but should be fine really give it a good flush and clean up.. replace some of the older hoses and I'd expect that to keep going.. What you might like to look out for is the viscous fan clutch.. they're cheap as chips but tend to go at this mileage...

I'd expect springs.. shocks.. bushes.. rust on the body work.. A few have engine mounts go.. but I haven't personally.. tie rods.. ball joints.. the odd ABS sensor.. but none of this stuff is a panic really.. most of this you can do yourself.. even the ABS sensors..

Hope that helps..

Craig

Reply to
C.Read

I had a 325i - no problem ever with cooling or the clutch but the gearbox died at about 150k. You'll probably be looking at some suspension work but that's inherent in BMW ownership.

Reply to
adder1969