A/C playing up.

Page 1 of 2
My A/C is on auto all the time. It has been set like that for the past year with no problems.Suddenly it has started blowing hot air out of the windscreen vent on the drivers side. The car is a 2000 540 and has
done 73K miles. Any ideas folks? pete www.suffolkrightsofway.co.uk www.ipswichwaterfrontaccess.co.uk
Add pictures here
βœ–

NO GAS--------------------
Sir Hugh of Bognor
βœ–
On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 16:52:01 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk wrote:

It sounds likely. How much does that cost to fix in the UK? pete www.suffolkrightsofway.co.uk www.ipswichwaterfrontaccess.co.uk
Add pictures here
βœ–

A professional evacuation and recharge in the UK, around £60, but that doesn't sound as if it's the problem. As the gas pressure drops because of leakage etc, the system becomes less and less efficient, until the. pressure drops to a point where it triggers a pressure switch that turns the compressor off, so the a/c doesn't work at all. As the fault you have only affects one side, it's more likely to be because of something like a failed air control valve. Mike.
Add pictures here
βœ–

It appears to have failed totally. My wife reckoned her side was alright but it isn't after all. The car goes into the workshop Tuesday for repair thanks. pete www.suffolkrightsofway.co.uk www.ipswichwaterfrontaccess.co.uk
Add pictures here
βœ–

It's only likely if the AC doesn't produce cooled air at all. You're suggesting it's only one vent that is blowing hot and the rest ok. If so it must be a fault associated with just that vent.
--
*You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me *

βœ–

Not necessarily, Dave. I thought that was the case as well until I read of others having the same symptoms - fixed by either repairing leaks or replacing the compressor. I initially took mine to an independent garage and asked them to recharge the system and they replied that they wouldn't charge me the $90.00 for a recharge when the problem had to be with the vent(s) since there was some cool air being produced. So, I took it to the dealer, paid thru the nose for their expertise, and now the A/C works great.
Every other auto A/C refrigerant problem I've had seemed to just cut off the compressor, so I still don't quite understand how a low charge will provide cool air thru some vents and ambient air through others - but that's BMW!
Hopefully for Pete, it is the distribution system and not a refrigerant leak. He might invest in a recharge and see if that clears up the one vent problem - if it does, then a leak needs to be fixed. If not, then there is a distribution problem.
Tom K.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 11:22:18 -0400, "Tom K."

Hi Tom. I am hoping it is as Rusty reckoned and just a cheapo part needs replacing. The biggest bind is losing my motor for a day:-( pete www.suffolkrightsofway.co.uk www.ipswichwaterfrontaccess.co.uk
Add pictures here
βœ–

Agreed. Good luck & let us know what it was.
Tom K.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 18:24:32 -0400, "Tom K."

Yes of course and thanks. pete www.suffolkrightsofway.co.uk www.ipswichwaterfrontaccess.co.uk
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 09:24:09 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

It is all kaput. My wife doesn't understand when the car got hot I hadn't turned the heating up:-( pete www.suffolkrightsofway.co.uk www.ipswichwaterfrontaccess.co.uk
Add pictures here
βœ–

I'm still not quite sure how - assuming climate control - how the lack of AC can suddenly produce hot air unless the temperature is set to give this.
--
*If you think this van is dirty, you should try having sex with the driver*

βœ–
On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 00:54:22 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

I have it set on auto all the time. Because I have a condition that makes my legs cold even in high summer I have the panel set at 22 degrees. I only put the A/C part on when it is really hot which is very rarely as I prefer to have the roof and windows open to cool down. When it first went south I tried the A/C to see if it still blew cold and it did but it was blowing hot too from another vent. Now it doesn't even blow cold so I have switched off the Auto function and just have to turn the heater off if it becomes too hot for my wife. pete www.suffolkrightsofway.co.uk www.ipswichwaterfrontaccess.co.uk
Add pictures here
βœ–

Er? Auto but only use the A/C part when too hot. this is a classic case of not describing the chain of events.
Auto = A/C system + heating all the time so if you have it on auto and the windows open you are wasting fuel and any effect the filtration process the A/C might give you.
However, if you only have the HEATER on for your legs then the A/C system hasn't been run for ages and that more than likely the problem. If the A/C compressor isn't used the seals go hard and the GAS will escape causing a drop of pressure and no COOLING. A/C gas is a liquid when under pressure and a gas when the pressure is released. When a liquid it is hot and when the liquid turns to a gas it "boils" @ - 20C and in order to boil it must take heat from what is available such as the surrounding air just like you boil water on a gas or electric cooker ring/hob - apply heat and the water boils @ 100C.
If the A/C hasn't been used for some time - overworked (with the windows open) or not serviced (re-gassed and checked for leaks) then it's a 10:1 chance that there is no gas in the system and if that's the problem get the condenser checked for leaks, Check the large fan in front of it is actually working (they do seize often) when the A/C is on and change the Filter/Drier unit too.
Can cost $$$$$ but worth it - and make sure the A/C pump compressor clutch it also working - low pressure will lock it out of action as will a damaged coil and contacts. Last Fall (Autumn) my compressor clutch actually disintegrated!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YES -------- BANG Kerrunchhhhhhhh! "£800" GB pounds in total.
Sir Hugh of Bognor
βœ–
On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 09:16:19 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk wrote:

I could have been using it wrongly. If so I used my last BMW the same way for 18months:-) pete www.suffolkrightsofway.co.uk www.ipswichwaterfrontaccess.co.uk
Add pictures here
βœ–

Ah. If it has a sunroof on a UK car presumably not climate control?

Climate control allows different temperatures on either side of the car. And opening a window etc to cool the car over a set temperature will simply make the system increase the heat out of the vents.
--
*If a parsley farmer is sued, can they garnish his wages?

βœ–
On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 09:57:31 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

I haven't had a window open lately:-) pete www.suffolkrightsofway.co.uk www.ipswichwaterfrontaccess.co.uk
Add pictures here
βœ–

The weather in London this past week has been wonderful - I've had all the windows open most of the time.
--
*Some people are only alive because it is illegal to kill.

βœ–
On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 01:06:49 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

I always travelled with the drivers door window open at one time. Now I very rarely do so:-( pete www.suffolkrightsofway.co.uk www.ipswichwaterfrontaccess.co.uk
Add pictures here
βœ–

If we are talking about windows now - can't remember the last time I had one open - Oh! the other day I stopped and opened the passenger window to ask someone a question.
Up until Monday I don't think many folk had any reason to open a window although I did open the roof on Wednesday just to see if it still worked - it does!
Anyway - anybody want to buy a nice E38 740i-------------? I am going to get that E65 730d - it's almost as quick and turns nearly 35mpg average (real figures not gov' imagination)
Sir Hugh of Bognor
βœ–