A C problems

I have a 1997 528 I and the freon just blew out of the compressor when it was idling in the garage. The fan is not working so there is extra pressure in the system. My question is if I get the fan fixed with the compressor still hold pressure or did I break that too.

Thanks,

Lee B.

Reply to
Lee Bosko

I'll be interested in answers as mine did the same in a traffic jam - with again the aux fan not working. But I'm not sure where the refrigerant escaped from - I just saw it come out the front, a bit like steam.

On checking it the low side was low pressure indicating it had lost charge. Had it topped it up and it was ok - but doesn't seem quite so efficient as before.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If the compressor has not been run for a long time after the blow-out (lack of oil), you should be okay. Disconnect it from the belt and plug/tape the break so moisture doesn't get into the system. A few new components like filter/dryer, some oil, refrigerant and accumulator and you should be okay.

Reply to
John

"Lee Bosko" wrote

Please remember it's not Freon (R12); it's R134a (I believe they've decided to call it Puron).

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

I believe Puron is R-410a and is in residential AC/heat pump systems. I'm not sure R-134a has a cute name.

Reply to
John

New to this. thanks for the help from all of you.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Bosko