A funny thing happened on the way thru an oil change

Page 2 of 2

Thing is if you're going to drive an alternator from a belt and then use that electricity to drive a waterpump and fan, you might as well drive the waterpump and fan directly. When we get high voltage alternators that are part of the flywheel so no friction from the drive, things might be different. I dunno how much power a waterpump devours, and whether the ability to vary its output independant of engine speed would be useful or not, though. But I'd say viscous coupled fans are pretty efficient - and rather longer lived than the average electric fan - if the aux one on the E39 is anything to go by. ;-)
--
*Certain frogs can be frozen solid, then thawed, and survive *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Well, sort of... My thought was with electric auxiliaries, you can turn them on and off with intelligent controls rather than just having them run all the time that the engine is running.
For instance, running a water pump full time, or the fan full time, even though the engine may not need them.
I also recall reading somewhere that a pusher fan is more efficient than a puller type such as one driven off the engine.
-Fred W

One idea I like with the electric fan and water pump is the car can then continue to run them after the engine is off until the engine temp gets below a set temp.
London SW

Hence the temperature sensitive viscous coupling? And I'd suggest a BMW one is more powerful when locked up than any electric one.
--
*Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

That is true and has worked for years, but given the need to enhance power while lowering fuel consumption, an electric driven water pump and radiator fan makes a lot of sense. I agree with Fred on this. I found the article I was lloking for, and BMW is using an electric water pump (engine cooling, not just heater core flow) in the E90...and their results indicate the savings from the pump compared to the increased load on the alternator, is well worth the change.
great, another thing that can go wrong and cause overheating - an electric water pump. is it so much better than the aluminum one in the newer E36 ?

not just heater core flow) in the E90...

Diesel versions have an extra electric water pump which continues to pump coolant around the turbocharger bearing and cylinder head area after shut-down.
Huw
I had a friend with a large car in times past. It was some kind of Buick and had a huge fan and a large space between the fan and the radiator, with a giant cowling coupling the radiator to the fan.
Well, he parked it one day at another friends house, a cold autumn day and we went inside to suck back on some wobbly pops.
When we went out and started the car, the most horrible whining sound came from under the hood, we stopped the engine and a cat ran out from underneath the car. The cat was not injured, just scared to death.
It had sat in close to the radiator to get warm.
After that experience, any time a car pulled up in the driveway, the cat would run in the other direction.

near
of
fan
clutch