about to buy a 1999 E39

I currently own a 2000 E39 with 185,000 miles. I love this car, however it's getting pretty ragged.

As I was talking to someone about possibly getting a new car, they mentioned their father-in-law had a car "exactly" like mine for sale with very low miles.

I further investigated it and called, and it turns out it's a 1999 E39. The gentleman that owns it had a stroke and his son is selling it.

Here is the deal -

It only has 46,000 miles and in very great shape! The guy was the original owner. Never an accident

The car is dark green with tan interrior Premium Package

The only flaws are: Passenger side cup holder broken Passenger side sun visor attachment broken Plastic shield under the front end is loose (might have hit the curb)

The pain and interior is like new. Has 4 new tires and inspected until Jan, 2011

The asking price is $8,000

Did I stumble on a great deal or can someone tell me a reason NOT to get this car???

Reply to
JB

Big deal, get a new one.

Big deal, get a new one.

And, big deal, get a new one.

Plug the year, make, model, miles, and options into

and get the Trade-in, Ptivate Party Sale, and Retail values. If you can fix the broken stuff and stay below the Private Party Sale value, then you are doing good. If you can fix it and stay below the Trade-in value, you are doing great.

Besides Kelly BlueBook, there is also Edmunds and NADA. If you really wanted to do your homework, get all of them and average the results and compare with the price you are paying.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Sounds like a good deal to me. You can't go too wrong at that price and milage.

I sometimes have twinges of regret that I didn't get an E39 instead of an E46.

Not long-lasting twinges, though. I do prefer more compact and sporty cars, and the E46 is an almost-perfect car for me.

Reply to
dizzy