AC light always on?

I recently had the climate control replaced in our 97 528. Although it was working before it was replaced, the display did not work.
Now that it's replaced it seems to work fine. However, in Automatic Mode
the AC light is always on. To turn the AC off you must take it out of automatic mode somehow such as turning up the fan speed. Then you can turn off the AC. Is that normal?
Also, whenever you start the car with it in automatic, the read defrost light on the climate control always come on. After a few minutes it goes off. Is that normal?

Not on my '97 528. The AC off/on is independent of the auto setting. But if you switch the car off with the AC on, it will still be on when you start up again, as it were.

Not on mine. Is it in defrost mode while the light is on?
--
*If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?