Adaptive Headlights

Page 5 of 5
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

No, automotive HIDs look blue because of the high spikes in the blue and near violet ranges of their SPD.
DS

The eye is most sensitive to green. This is why most fluorescent tubes spike in the green portion of the specturm - they look brighter. This is why they show up as green on regular film. They ARE more green, but your eyes normalizes the light and it looks "normal" when you're used to them.
The longer the wavelength of light the less is scatters in fog. This is why fog lamps are yellow and why backscatter with blue halogens in inclement conditions is becoming increasingly of concern to NHTSA.
Expect to see more white HID lamps. Blue is like, so passe now :-)
Note also those blue incandescent bulbs sold as fake HID's are flat out illegal, the only legal front facing bulbs are white and yellow.
Check your local lighting regulations. They are, if nothing else, worth a laugh.
Richard Sexton wrote:

Wrong. There is no Rayleigh Scattering of vehicle lamp light in roadway fog. Rayleigh Scattering (the effect that makes the sky blue) occurs only when the water droplets are smaller than the light wavelengths, and such is not the case (not by several orders of magnitude) in roadway fog. The advantage of yellow light in rain/fog/snow has to do with the human visual system, which has a very tough time processing blue light.
Despite this fact, "fog lamps are yellow" is wrong. Fog lamps are permitted to be white, selective yellow, or any color in between.
DS

Rayleigh? I had a Rayleigh bicycles once.

You're on crack, Stern, I saw it on tv so it must me true.

Did you ever find any more of those French yellow capsules?
Richard Sexton wrote:

It's not true unless it's on the interweb.

Which ones? Yellow H1 and H3 bulbs are in stock, as are yellow balloons for H4 bulbs.
DS

That's "Intarweb".

The H1 and H3 are those dichoic yellow things? They're yellowish bit not screaming oh-my-god-looks-french yellow like the baloons are.
If you have these in stock again I'll be dropping by most likely on wednesday.
Richard Sexton wrote:

Yes, new manufacture (Tungsram of Hungary), much better than previous production.

You can have them when mbz.org is fully up and running again.

Everyone's a friggin critic [1]. What part doesn't work now?
Answer your phone you cretin.
[1] Critic: n; legless men that teach running.
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

No, they can't. In the entire civilized world except for Japan, the only legally-approved HID light sources for car headlamps produce light with CCT of 4100k to 4800k.

The human eye is most sensitive to yellow-green.
DS

You've taken my quote out of context. I was meaning they can be *made* in near any colour temperature. The legality or otherwise is a different issue.

Again, out of context. The discussion was of 'red' halogens versus 'blue' discharge.
--
*I was once a millionaire but my mom gave away my baseball cards

Richard Sexton wrote:

Naw, it isn't. "Driving lamps" are auxiliary high beam lamps, never safe or legal for use with low beams, in traffic, or in inclement weather.
DS