Add-on GPS/NAV for a 5 series?

Hello. My beloved 540i with 163k miles was totalled and i am in the car market again. Am looking at some 530i's 2002 or 2003. However, almost all of the ones i am looking at have no NAV system. I really enjoyed that on my old car. I am told by my BMW dealer that they cannot ADD a GPS/NAV to an existing car, so the question is: Are there any GPS/NAV add on systems that can either go in the dash, or be placed somewhere decent. I use it a lot for directions, maps and some recommendations for restaurants, etc. as I drive. Looking to spend $600-1k or so. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance...

Mark info ((at) kramden .dot.. org

Reply to
mdd

"mdd" haute in die Tasten:

You could install a Becker car navigation radio, they cost between

700 and 1500 Euros in Germany and have a very good reputation. The other quite convenient solution is a TomTom Go (400-700 Euros), an all-in-one navigation unit with a touch screen display.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

Consider a Tom-Tom 700. Neat little unit, about 800 bucks and fun to use.

Eisboch

Reply to
Eisboch

If you go to

you'll find some links to nav retrofit guides. There's a yahoo group too. I had a '96 740 with the TV option but no nav and I managed to get an old MK1 unit on ebay for around GBP100/US$200 which plugged right into the wiring loom in the boot/trunk. To completely retrofit a more up-to-date BMW system is expensive though (look on ebay) and I'd recommend a mobile unit you can take from car to car. You can either get a dedicated unit or a nav system for a palm computer.

Reply to
adder1969

When I bought my 2003 530, it was the last one on the lot & faced the same situation as did you. They offered a "Voice only" navigation that was totally hidden, and ONLY $1700. I passed.

I purchased a Garmin 2610 & have learned to really appreciate its mobility. When on vacation, we pack it into a suitcase & use it in our rental car. Its somewhat more versatile than a Tomtom, & the 2610's are quite reasonably priced now. Stay away form the models with hard-drives in them, as they are apparently more prone to failure.

Reply to
JimmyG