Adding NAV to 2006 530i E39

Just bought a 2006 530i over the weekend but dealer was unable to locate a unit with NAV built in (as well as some of the other options I wanted). I was curious if there was a simple path to adding the NAV function now that they already have the LCD dash screen and roof antenna pre-installed. I would guess that the 2006 is mostly pre-wired, ready to add features as needed.

Anyone look into the 2006 retrofit options yet?

Reply to
markharris2000

When the E60 was launched they didn't have the ability to get NAV into all of the vehicles and they came up with a retrofit kit, the only one ever made. Check with your dealership for availability and fitament.

Reply to
CJ

There are other BMW retrofit packages available. My '96 740 already had the TV screen and fitting the nav simply involved pluggin the unit into the boot/trunk and fitting a GPS aerial.

Reply to
adder1969

How much was that?

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

I bought a mark 1 unit (my '96 being so old was pre-wired for the mk1 system) off ebay for GBP100 or about ~US$200. Many people upgrade from the earlier CD systems to the later DVD systems so they crop up on ebay frequently but will be more expensive than the realtively crappy mk1 system. There are retrofit guides about if you search for them. There's even a yahoo group for it.

Reply to
adder1969