Advice on New X5 vs Cayenne S?

What are your thoughts on the X5 V8 vs the Cayenne S? The X5 seems more high tech.

cooled Volkswagens.
Keep the 4x4 or Chelsea Tractor (New York Tractor) to the folks that know what they might be doing.
Ford own Land Rover now but they Bought it from BMW who stole it from ROVER along with the FWD technology of the mini.
Sir Hugh of Bognor
On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 21:32:52 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk wrote:

But aren't you dodging the question of why BMW is offering more and more Chelsea tractor variants? Are you saying that, unlike Porsche, it's because they're doing it well, or what?
And on an unrelated note, Porsche finally has something - in their Cayman S - that may tempt me to eventually swap my NSX for. BMW has *nothing* in that class that competes, more's the pity.
My '01 e39 will also need to be replaced towards the end of this year, mostly because the extended warranty will expire and I don't want to foot the bill for more starter motors and fuel pumps like it's needed so far, and ghod knows what's next.
I simply cannot come to terms with BMW's new styling, as much as I have tried. Where does that leave me? I'm not trolling, this is not cross-posted, it's an honest question.
--
Dan.

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 18:25:02 -0500, Dean Dark

    The X5 is, imo, a better car than the Cayenne, which has a poor reputation as far as reliability. An amazing car, but I think the X5 fills the niche better (especially with the new engines).     As far as BMW not having a Cayman competitor - the car it's most often compared to is a BMW: the Z4 M Coupe. The BMW's handling isn't as refined, but it's a better value considering how close they are in performance vs. the difference in price.     As for not getting on board with the new styling, I think that's shortsighted as everyone else seems to be following the trend. But if for some reason BMW went under tomorrow, my next choice would be Audi.     epbrown
--
How can you know where I'm at if you haven't been where I been?
Can you see where I'm coming from? "How I Could Just Kill A Man" Cypress Hill

IIRC BMW did pay a pound for Rover, which was about what it was worth at the time.
The idea that BMW 'stole' front wheel drive technology from Rover, when in fact is was pioneered by Citroen before the war and any patents have long since run out is fanciful to say the least.

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 02:23:49 -0000, "R. Mark Clayton"

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
DougA wrote:

I ordered a 4.8 X5 about a month ago. The Cayenne S was also nice but I didn't like the interior and the performance was about the same. The new X5 does have more high tech features than my '04 X5 4.4i.
BTW - I also looked at the Mercedes GL 450. It get high marks for comfort but lacks in performance. It corners like an old Buick.
Dan

Er and other SUV's don't - do try a comparative test drive with a regular car inteh same class!

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

"Er", I did drive both and I have an '04 X5 4.4i now. The Mercedes is a luxury SUV - the BMW offers luxury and better performance.

The Cayenne is reported to be quite unstable when being pushed to do what it is "APPARENTLY" designed to do.
It may be 4WD and BIG but------- only on tarmac and then at legal speeds. Off road - keep it parked up and use the Land Rover which, in my opinion, is a load of toffee nosed crap unless owned by a real farmer or someone that NEEDS a 4WD ugly thing.
Oh! and all you horse owners out there - remember horses also travel well in lorries with 2 wheel rear drive mechanics.
Sir Hugh of Bognor
On Jan 25, 3:52 am, snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk wrote:

Not during Wisconsin winters they don't. My horse trailer gets pulled by a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I bought new in 2001. When it breaks beyond repair (It's only 5 years old now and has had less than $500 in non-wear item repairs in 80,000 miles.), I can go buy *another* new one and still have less invested than in a single new Rover. Not to mention that I can buy a whole set of lifetime warranteed brakes or shocks for under $200. -- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Don't take it to heart I was having a go at the Stoopid English who think that tarmac is dirt.. I have to laugh at cars with bikes on the roof and trunk/boot why take them to ride - why don't they ride the bloody bikes and ride the horses instead of taking the horse for a ride to ride it - you do that with your girlfriend/lover......
Sir Hugh of Bognor