Aftermarket Tire Pressure Monitors

I get a lot of punctures with the Conti Contact Sport 235-45/17 tires on my 530i sport. The real problem is the stiff ride makes it hard to notice when they've gone flat and the tire is ruined quickly. Does anyone have experience with add-on remote pressure monitors such as the Third eye (Viva Performance), the SmarTire (Tire Rack), or the Doran Pressure Pro? I've read good and bad about each. All seem to have rather bulky display units. TIA

Dean

Reply to
Dean

I fitted a set to my Volvo 940, and had a few problems. Can't remember the brand but it wasn't the ones you mentioned, however my experience is relevent I think.

  1. Accuracy is poor and I think less than specified in my case, but will do what you want and protect your tyres.
  2. Mine came with milled/drilled aluminium valves that the sensor bolted onto inside the wheel with another bolt that clamped the valve and seal into the wheel.
  3. The aluminium valve stems didn't seal and one broke off during fitting, another broke off when I put on a garage tyre pressure hose, leaving me with a flat in 30s.
  4. The company promptly sent out replacement steel valves that sit in more like conventional valves, these worked better are are in now, however I do worry that they aren't replaced like normal valves. I guess they will last as long as the batteries (5 years+).
  5. I positioned the receiver in one corner of the windscreen and the farthest away sensor isn't always picked up in the long estate car. They seem to transmit occasionally and when the pressure changes. The receiver is always on and uses little current in standby, so it warns you when you put on the ignition if the tyre has gone down earlier.
  6. The aftermarket ones are a little more flexible than the OE ones, that assumed a high level of accuracy and the warning level is programmable.
  7. Most tyre places now will tackle the job, but usual I seem to end up the
17 year old that doesn't know how to get the tyre off without damaging the sensor and needs supervised.
  1. I left the car in a good neighbour in London and little bastards stole the chrome covers that came with the valves. Hopefully they won't feel the need to take the black plastic ones I replaced them with.

I would advise a system that wraps around the rim rather than bolts to the tyre valve as this should be left alone.

Reply to
Tony Stanley