Air Cond / Heater Fan Not Coming On. E39. Any thoughts?

2002 525iT.
The fan is not coming on when I put on the air conditioner or heater. The AC compressor kicks in but no air. The fan control lights move.
This happened once before and it just fixed itself, so I doubt it's a fuse.
Is this a common problem (with a commonly known solution)?
thanks for any help.
Default User wrote:

Yes, it's a very common problem. My E36 has had this problem three different times--- first time, blower motor replaced, last two incidents involved replacing resistor and capacitor respectively. I can't help you with your model and year, maybe someone here can. But I see BMW isn't improving their quality control issues any......
-------- THE ISRAEL LOBBY: Does it have too much influence on US foreign policy?
The London Review will be hosting a debate on 28 September in the Great
Hall, Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art, Cooper Square, New York. Go to the link in my sig to reserve tickets.
----- Kill ratio of Palestinian children to Israeli children 5.7-to-1, Israel's favor. Kill ratio of all Palestinians to Israelis: over 3-to-1. --------- http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n06/print/mear01_.html ---------- "Don't worry about American pressure on Israel. We, the Jewish people, control America, and the Americans know it." ---Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, 2001
--
Cliff

Wonder what the capacitor does?
--
*If you think this van is dirty, you should try having sex with the driver*

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've thought a little about that myself. I mean, I know what capacitors do and how they work, but since I'm not an electronics circuits guy per se' I just went out and bought the cap. at stated rating, and followed the directions on the guy's excellent site for replacing it, and bingo, it fixed the problem and I've had none since! Last time I checked, the site was no longer available; too bad.
-------- THE ISRAEL LOBBY: Does it have too much influence on US foreign policy?
The London Review will be hosting a debate on 28 September in the Great
Hall, Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art, Cooper Square, New York. Go to the link in my sig to reserve tickets.
----- Kill ratio of Palestinian children to Israeli children 5.7-to-1, Israel's favor. Kill ratio of all Palestinians to Israelis: over 3-to-1. --------- http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n06/print/mear01_.html ---------- "Don't worry about American pressure on Israel. We, the Jewish people, control America, and the Americans know it." ---Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, 2001
--
Cliff

Almost certainly the final stage resistor. It is a common problem, although it looks like recent modules may have a longer life.
It's an easy enough DIY replacement although slightly awkward. Google should provide instructions.
--
*We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart?