Air filters

ARE THERE ANY AFTER MARKET AIR FILTERS THAT MIGHT BOOST PERFORMANCE OR MILEAGE?

Sure. Why are you YELLING

Personally, the "aftermarket" air filter I like for my 90 E34 535i 5spd, 118K miles is the made by Mahle, Mann or Hengst. Basically, OEM quality is just as good as an "OE" air filter. Good Luck!
Get a life and don't take this newsgroup thingy so seriously. BTW, when you ask a question, proper English requires that a question mark be placed at the end of the sentence. OK?
On 7/19/08 11:13 PM, in article g5uagd$u1s$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org,

I have a life. And I don't take hardly anything very seriously.
You asked an open-ended question for which the only possible answer is, yes. And, you did it in all caps.
All I did was miss the punctuation at the end of a sentence. Get a life, and don't take this newsgroup thing so seriously.
HGL wrote:

Obviously reading comprehension isn't big with you either..
The original posting, which was frome me, not Jeff said:
"no there are not. why are you YELLING AT US?" <--- notice question mark?
And just to return your compliment - I don't think you could get a life if it was handed to you.
Why don't you go away and play with the traffic? I6 will do!

HGL wrote:

no there are not. why are you YELLING AT US?
I'm not "yelling". My caps lock was on while I was typing and I was too lazy to do it over. OK? Is that OK with you? Don't take this newsgroup thing so seriously and don't be so snotty. Get a life.
On 7/21/08 2:12 PM, in article g62jhm$chi$ snipped-for-privacy@news.monmouth.com, "admin"

The answer is basically (and it is much nicer when you aren't yelling) that higher flow filters won't improve your mileage at all. They _can_ improve your performance with the throttle wide open IF the airflow is the limiting factor (which it is not on a stock vehicle). If you have done other things to increase engine horsepower (and that includes a high flow exhaust system and modified firmware at the very least), it's possible to get into a situation where airflow limits you at maximum throttle and a high flow air filter system can help a bit.
A lot of the high flow systems get their flow rate at the expense of reduced filter efficiency. That's fine for a racing car, but it's really bad news if you ever drive on dirt roads.
In the old days of carbs and manual chokes, airflow was a big deal because changes in airflow would translate into changes in fuel mixture. These days with modern fuel injection systems it becomes a big issue only at high RPMs because the fuel injection system keeps the mixture correct. If the filter clogs up a little, you have to press the pedal down a bit more to get the same power, but the mixture is precisely the same as if your filter was not restricting anything, because it's a closed-loop system now. --scott

THAT'S WHAT YELLING IS!
HGL top posted:

Please don't top post.

Well don't be so bloody lazy - you'll want us to buy it for you ship it and then someone near you to fit it next.

--

Sir Hugh of Bognor