Airbag light on, 94 325is

This car has never been in an accident, or even a slight tap on the frt., but the airbag light is now on. I don't remember when exactly it came on,
but I'm hoping I don't have to take the steering wheel appart to figure out if it's a short or what. Is there any way to know other than that whether it's still working or it's just an idiot light malfunction? In fact, how would I know if I DID take the steering wheel apart? I sure don't want to set it off to find out!
-- _____________________________________________________ Drivin a 94 BMW 325is w/sport. For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com. Yeah, it's really a real address :)
The Airbag light means the airbag system is inactive because of a fault somewhere in the circuit.
The computer will tell the technician where "somewhere" is, and he can reset the light, but there is no way to do a repair and have the light go out by itself, it must be reset.
The typical service requirement is the seat belt retractor switch and/or the passenger front seat sensor. My '94 had the light on to alert me that the light didn't work. I don't quite get why they would turn on a light that doesn't work to tell you that the light doesn't work, but my mechanic reset the circuit and the light never came on again.
I recently bought another '94 E36, and the light came on. My mechanic said it was a switch in the seat. He reset the circuit, and the light has not come back on. My guess is that your light just got a hair in its ass, and when reset it will remain off.

spewed:

Bummer.
Damn, that IS maddening huh!

Ah, so if reset it tests again and if OK stays off? Any way to reset it myself, or does it need a special electronic plugged into it?
Thanks much for the info!