Airbag Warning

We have a 1998 Z3 2.8 litre. The dash warning light for the airbags came on Saturday, and is staying on solid. No flashing, no flickers. The manual say that our mechaninc needs to look at the airbag system, and I definitely do not want to mess with that, but is there something I can check, to make sure it is not a false error message?

Thanks!

Reply to
Perry Lee

I don't think there is a lot you can do to be honest.. maybe check your fuses.. BUT.. don't despair just yet.. Airbag lights SOMETIMES come on and the system can simply be reset and then they seem to work properly again..

Reply to
C.Read

The SRS light will come on if the computer senses a problem and this can sometimes/often be caused by bad wiring. On some models BMW has replacement looms to fix the bad wiring. BMW will make a charge for resetting the light so you won't want it to happen too often!

Reply to
adder1969

I think mid 90's & beyond can use a code reader to determine state of Airbag system. In my 92 it's a seperate system -- mine went off becuase battery got low & it was confused -- After talking to the dealer (unhelpful really) and a few mechanics, I went ahead and reset the light on the theory if something was really wrong, it would re-arm itself.

The 60 for the srs reset tool was a lot cheaper than the 300 quoted from the dealer.

If you have a code reader -- I'd see if you pull a code off the system, if you d>We have a 1998 Z3 2.8 litre. The dash warning light for the airbags

Josh Assing

Thanks for all the help. One of the people in our car club has a code reader, and is bringing it over later this week.

Reply to
Perry Lee

The airbag light can only be reset through the computer. It comes on if there is a problem ANYWHERE in the system. The most common problem spot is in the connectors to the seats. The seats and seatbelts are innerconnected. The diagnostic tool will tell you which seat is the offender, and the diagnostic tool must be used to reset the light.

There can be other problems, but the diagnostic tool is required to find out any of the possible trouble spots. The light can be reset without any service work being performed, but the light might come back on in a few days, or minutes, or not at all.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The airbag light is a Safety Of Flight item, it will not reset itself. It assumes that once there is a problem, the problem exists until the diagnostic tool is plugged in to reset it. The other systems, the ABS for example, do a self diagnostic with each start up, and a problem in these systems can go away on their own.

TO THE OP Carefully observe the SRS light when you turn the ignition to ON. The light will come on for a few seconds for the self test, then go out and immediately come back on. This indicates the system checked itself, then remembered that it had a problem the last time you drove it.

My aribag light is on in my car, and the problem is the seat switches, or seatbelt switches -- I don't recall which one. I reset the light, and it stayed off for a long time, but came back on again when the seat was moved and somebody was sitting in it. My eductated guess is that your seat/seatbelt switches are dirty or have a poor connection.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks Jeff. You may be right. The other day I braked rather hard, and it felt like the seat slipped forward about half an inch. That's what we will have the mechanic look at.

Reply to
Perry Lee

I'm not sure the seat mechanism itself will cause your error, my instinct is that the seat switches or the seatbelt switch(es) will be your problem. I have a friend with the scan tool, and we reset my Airbag Light, then got it to come on again by sitting in the seat, then moving it with the positioning switch. My passenger seat is more problematic than my driver seat, and dirt and grime in the electircals is a known BMW issue. I have to wonder if your issue is smiply a result of a poor contact or connection ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland