Airbag warning light on

1998 Z3. As of yesterday, the airbag warning light is staying on. Is there a simple, common problem that triggers this? Don't really want to see the dealer on it if there's something I can look for myself.
Suggestions?
Rex B Fort Worth
The airbag light can come from any of several places, the most likely being one of the seat switches. My E36 gave me an airbag light to tell me the airbag light did not work -- this perplexed me as much as I assume it makes you wonder.
In any case, the airbag system is not capable of resetting itself, it must be reset via the diagnostic tool. The airbag system is a "safety of flight" item, and any malfunction will be displayed even if the malfunction is transitory. You do not need a BMW service center to affect the repairs, but you will need at minimum a BMW independent garage that has the diagnostic equipment.

Interesting. Other research seems to indicate the code can be cleared by jumping terminals 7 and 20 (?) on the underhood diag port.
Sounds like I need to check the wiring under the seats, then try to clear the code.
Jeff Strickland wrote:

Earthlink wrote:

That will reset your service interval lights. It will do nothing at all for your SRS light.
First you have to figure out what the problem is - then you have to fix it - then you have to reset the light. It can be anything from a seat occupancy sensor to a seat-buckle-latch.
Peake Research makes a tool to diagnose and reset the system. If the dealer is too expensive for you - I'd suggest you look into the Peake tool.
admin wrote:

Agreed. This started when my wife sat down in the passenger seat yesterday. I rarely have a passenger.

I'll look into that, thanks