Aircon problem?

Hi all.
The ac compressor on 2002 e46 has now started to growl on starting, atherwise it works well with plenty of cold air. On recycling the growl
always starts again for about 5 secs and then stops. Car now 130 000 km.and this problem just started during last 5 000 km.
Apart from the short noise on the compressors starting there is no other indication of any problem.
Motorplan finished!, any ideas?
Peter

I have a similar problem with the compressor on my E39. On mine though it's more of a light rattle. I think it's the clutch rather than the compressor itself. It can't be heard inside the car so I think I'll leave it, and think about fixing it if it gets worse. As the a/c is still working well, I'd suspect your growl is coming from the clutch as well. Mike.

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK