Alfa or BMW ?

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
I'm considering buying me a real sports car.
My heart says Alfa, but my college says BMW.
I think BMW is for pimps, and Alfa's are for gents.
Am I correct?
:-D

Real sport's car? M3 CSL, but you're stuck with used because they don't make the anymore (at this moment). Otherwise think about Mclaren F1, Paganini Zonda, CGT...
-- It's a good idea to drive a little Japanese/Ford/whatever shopping machine once a year to remind yourself why you're in a BMW for the rest of the year. by John Burns. '98 328i coupe t.
BravoEchoRomeoRomeoYankee wrote:

Yeah you're spot on, Berry. So, are you looking for a date or something?
--
-Fred W

BMW (but don't get a white BMW - those are pimpy...
On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 21:15:43 +0200, "BravoEchoRomeoRomeoYankee"

Anyone who can ask that question is much too girly to own an Alfa. Stick to your Ka.
-- Larry (Three Alfas, one Bimmer)
On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 21:15:43 +0200, "BravoEchoRomeoRomeoYankee"

I would venture to say that a real sports car is neither a BMW or an Alfa. That's not to say that there aren't very tasty vehicles to be had from either of those camps though.
A real sports car is something purpose-built, like a Ferrari for example. It's not a mass market car platform that's had some tuning bits and go-faster stripes added. Here's the acid test: is the car a purpose-built machine, or is it a gussied up version of a mass-market grocery-getter. Look at it that way and it's simple to see what's what.
Just don't expect a brake job on one of those to cost the same as a brake job on a BMW. See posts passim. Ask Fred...
--
Dan.

Dean Dark wrote:

Well, since my name has been tossed out there, I'll weigh in on this silly question. Firstly, some Alfas definitely do qualify as "sports cars" IMO. A sports car, in my mind, is epitomized by the likes of Triumphs, MGBs, Austins, etc. Bare-bone, light-weight, low horsepower, 2 seater (usually) roadsters. A very raw, grass-roots driving experience. They are purpose designed for tossing around on the track by weekend warriors without getting the driver in over his head. IOW, the exact opposite of a modern BMW. Certainly the exotics like Ferraris and Lambos have like-wise purposes (except for the getting the driver in over his head part...) but they are, due to the magnificent price tags and low production, exotica. And yes, it costs more for parts for exotic sports cars than it does for other more mundane transports.
As to which car the OP should buy, I cannot help since we do not see Alfas here in the US anymore. The reputation they had when they were around was that of a slightly classier Fiat.
--
-Fred W

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 07:18:40 -0400, Fred W

May's _Car and Driver_ says that "Alfa Romeo is poised to reenter the U.S. market in 2008 with (this) V-6-powered 260-hp convertible as well as a two-door hardtop version known as the Brera... ...The Spider is the soft-top version of the delightful Brera coupe that is already on sale in Europe..."
Whatever all that means as far as actually *seeing* Alfas again in the YooEss, though...
--
Dan.

The best Alfas are those owned by someone else. When I am in Italy I try to hire Alfas. Great to look at, great to drive. Had 147s for two years running (1.9 l turbodiesel).
Now the new 159 got a good review in the UK and it appears to be better built than before.
However, if money matters to you, go for the BMW...
DAS

"BravoEchoRomeoRomeoYankee" wrote

And newsgroups are for trolls, apparently.
Pete

an old one? The spider or even better the GTV kick butt. Get like this 1970 Alfa Romeo GTA 1300 Junior
http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/classic-car-page.php?carnoI17
now thats a sports car
I've had an Alfa, Fiat, BMW and Mercedes. Some Alfas are ok but not many. All in all the Fiat was a way better car. It's tough to find a BMW that's no fun, most Alfas really underimpressed me.
Plus the BMW will usually start.
snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) wrote in

Fiat really? That is interesting as i've always heard the oposite. My brother is an alfesti and me bmw. I have a soft spot for the SPICA injection as its so similar to Kugelfisher in the old BMWs. His alfas always started and were a blast to drive .. nearly as nice as my tii -- always a point of argument :)

Hey it's just one data point but I always founs Fiats really easy to work on; things broke (it's an Italian car for God's sake) but repair was ever so striaght forward and easy.
SPICA injection. Giggle. The Lucas of fuel delivery systems.
Again, just one data point.
On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 01:54:27 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) wrote:

Ignornace is bliss.
I've experience owning a 64 Giulia TI, 67 Duetto, 68 1300 GT Junior, 69 750 Spider; 68 Fiat Dino, 72 124 Spider (90,000 miles in under 3 years), 75 X-1/9, plus various rentals and borrowed for autocrossing. I like Fiats a lot, but other than the Dino, no Fiat can compare to the enjoyment of Alfa mechanicals.
-- Larry

And typos are even more blissful...means you've got "happy fingers."
-- Larry

A rolling stone gathers no moss.
Absense makes the heart grow fonder.
A stictch in time saves nine.
I see you collect proverbs too.

I've had all those except for the Dino. All in all the Fiats were in my opinion better performing and more reliable cars. The alfas had the edge on looks, and to be sure Alfas from the 30s were the kind of thing that I imagined made Enzo do his thing.
But I don't live in the 30s. And look on the bright side, there's less reliable cars. Old Lancias and Triumph GT6+'s comes to mind.

To answer the eternal quesion which car is better - Alfa Romeo or BMW - I'd suggest to ask those guys, who are competent to give you the right answer: Italian cops!
The answer will surprise you:
http://www.photosphere.info/pics/BMW-Brescia.jpg
(This image is an actual photograph, taken by me roughly 3 weeks ago in the lovely city of Brescia. Please forgive me for the lousy image quality, but I left my Digital SLR camera at home)
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Of course. The police are probably after reliability. This was not a main topic here, although I did indicate it in my own earlier post.
DAS
That seems like a weak argument to me. All Italian cops (except the one you took a picture of) drive Italian cars - at least based on all the trips to Italy I have taken.