Alfa or BMW ?

Page 2 of 2

I was really astonished when I saw the polizia BMW. That was the reason for me to take the snapshot. I was also astonished when I saw several japanese policecars running around in italy. Most of them still are Fiats and Alfas, though. BTW: Italian police also use BMW motorcycles (at least some)
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance

Do you have any idea what kind of advantage it is for the police when their chase cars start and don't explode at stoplights?

Well my first Alfa was a 156 which was ok. But one year ago, I baught myself the new Alfa GT. From the first day I owned it, it rattles and squeaks sooooo much, it takes away all the driving experience. Going to the dealer twice a month doesn't help much either. Such a shame because it's such a beautiful car!
I'm looking into buying the new E92 by the end of this year. Hoping it will give me the same driving experience without all those rattles and shit.
Cheers,
F.

When the Alfa 156 came out reviewsers said it is better built than before, and they are saying again with the 159. Bottom line is they are a generation or so behind BMW (and Japanese makes) on build quality and relilability. As to the sports car question (OK practical family cars trying their best to be sports cars), errr, BMW rear wheel drive (like sports cars should be), Alfa 156 2.5 V6 front wheel drive with so much torque steer when you pull away hard it's scary. For the record, I have test driven Alfa 156 2.0, ridden in a 156 2.5 V6 (and watched the driver fight with the steering wheel!) and I own an E91 3 series.

I drove an Alfa 1987 Sprint 1.7 Veloce once, great little thing. Nearly bought it.
In the UK Alfa dealers come very far down reliability and customer satisfaction surveys, the dealers are meant to be quite poor too. It turned out a friend of mine bought the Alfa Sprint and I bought my first BMW E30 instead. The Alfa turned out to be a nightmare to run, very unreliable and spent a LOT of time in the shop getting warranty repairs.
Modern Alfas look very nice, but the depreciation is awful.

All Alfas look great. But people aren't stupid. There's nothing as expesnive as a cheap Alfa.
Yes. Aside from driving other people's Alfas (which I mentioned earlier) there is another approach to having an Alfa. The need for two other things: a manufacturer's warranty and patience (to wait while the car is in the garage yet again...at least that's how legend has it).
DAS
"Richard Sexton" < snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net> wrote in message
news:e25n9j$t9o$ snipped-for-privacy@news.datemas.de...

They always say that. They sorta have to. What else are they supposed to say? "They're built just like they always have been!" Or "Thse aren't as good as the older ones".
I used to respect automotiove journalists till I met a few.

Which college recommended an Alfa? Did you also take a writing course at the same college?
There's an old joke about Italy that should help settle the discussion. It goes like this: Why is Italy shaped like a boot? Because it would be impossible to stuff that much shit into a sneaker.
It goes double for their carmakers, who should have given away discount towing coupons with every unit sold. So they're coming back with the Brera. Big deal. Maybe they should hook up with VW and build the Brera Rabbit.

That would be gents with large wallets and the patience to wait for the breakdown truck.
--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

Depends on the time you want to drive the car between two failures ...