Alternative LED bulbs - ECU confusion?

Page 2 of 2
bjn wrote:

But were superior in every way to the approved type?

The point is that these LED replacement bulbs are *inferior* in every respect to the tungsten ones - apart from perhaps life.
You might be happy having turn signals and brake lights that can't be seen from certain angles in daylight where tungsten can - most, I'd guess would not.
And I'm not theorising - I've tried them. If anyone says the ones I've tried have been improved upon to the point where they are a safe replacement, please give details of where they can be bought. And not just an advert but personal experience of them.
--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long? *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Did you try the 46 element ones or a cheapo 3 filament one?

I've not tried any 'cheap' ones - and my comments refer only to replacements for single filament brake or turn signal 21 watt bulbs. There are two basic types on the market - one which fires forward only with usually about 12 ultra bright 5mm LEDs. Available in red white and yellow. These give adequate brightness when viewed directly on axis so *may* be suitable for some applications. But the output falls quickly to the sides so is useless for turn signals.
The other type has 3mm leds arranged all round it to simulate the PD of a filament bulb and work correctly with a reflector. These fail dismally on all counts.
--
*Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

<Laughs> so they're all shite!
On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 22:51:04 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

For my purposes, yes.

The point is, that statement is your opinion based upon what you see as important, and not a fact. Other people may see other things as important, and therefore have different opinions.

I *think* I've made it clear that my objection consists of the brightness of LED replacements 'off axis' compared to filament types. And so far none has contradicted me.
You may feel it's your 'human right' to have turn signals that can't be seen from the sides in high ambient light levels. If so, I hope it is you that suffers from such vanity rather than innocent parties.
--
*Gargling is a good way to see if your throat leaks.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

more from what a person says

I see safety above vanity. You apparently don't.
--
*If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 23:10:39 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

An objective statement unsupported by statistically significant empirical data, i.e., an opinion not a fact.

And actually what Dave 'said' was a fact as well as an opinion - can you tell?
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

It is a fact based on the tests I've done on several different samples of replacement LED bulbs. I've repeatedly asked where I can buy ones that are as bright in all directions as a filament bulb - but without success. So until this happens - and I've tested it - to me it remains a fact and not opinion. Since you've not given me the information on where to buy such a bulb I'll let others judge who is correct in this matter.
--
*I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Please inform us of the answer you would like and we will oblige.
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

And I'd describe you as just plain stupid if you can't follow the safety issues.
--
*I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't care.

But I've already said they're not any good. Those 'point in all direction' ones give roughly the equivalent output of a 5 rather than 21 watt tungsten in a reflector unit. You can even do the sums if you wish - the LEDs used are bog standard 3mm types.

You can believe what you like.

Why? You can buy 10 tungsten bulbs for this cost which do the job required perfectly.
--
*What was the best thing before sliced bread? *