Ambient Temperature Sensor

I've been having trouble with it my "Outside Ambient Temperature Sensor" (OATS) off and on for over 2 years, ever since I hit a curb and ripped it out.
It seems like it should be so simple to repair, but I continue to have problems. I have actually replaced the sensor 3 times, this last time I was so so so careful to ensure that the connection from the new sensor to the existing leads was solid.
After installation, the temp reads -40, then I drive at highway speed for about 10 minutes and the temp comes to the correct temp. It will usually then work for anywhere from a day to a few weeks, then it starts going batty and while never going down as low as -40, it is usually in the -30 to +10 range while the correct temp is actually in the upper 50s or lower 60s.
What could the problem be? This weekend I will try reversing the leads (i.e., is there a "polarity", I noticed the new sensor has two white leads but the wires to connect to are solid blue and blue/red striped... if there is a "polarity", what would I see if I connected the leads the wrong way?)
This has been a terribly frustrating problem. HELP!
Jeff

I believe it reads -40C when the sensor is open circuit. The meter will tell you for sure.
That shielded cable to the sensor is a pain to work with. Make sure you cleaned everything and made soldered joins with heat shrink... you cannot crimp that stuff reliably. --scott