Any chance of seeing the 330xi wagon in the USA?

Page 2 of 2

Sorry, slipped my mind. The Jeep Liberty is now available with a diesel (as of the 2005 model year). That makes three.
Did you know (of course not - I'm going to try to educate you) that in 2002 there were 470,000 diesel vehicle registrations? That's about 2.7% of the 17,000,000 vehicles sold.
Floyd
wrote

eeerrrrrmmmm - don't petrol cars pollute too ? especially the 4, 5 and 6 litre, low technology, gas guzzlers that are rare to extinct in Europe ? and the taste in the air of Californian cities - is that some hybrid rose plant or just the sea air ? Any figures for energy consumption per capita between the continents ? Anyway, seems like we are both going to be dwarfed by the Chinese in the next 10 years or so - then we'll have a Katrina a month perhaps ?
Nick

In grams per mile, all gas engines in the US emit fewer pollutants than gas cars in EU - except CO2, if you count that as a pollutant.

The air in Berlin, Paris, London, Munich and others I've been in is worse than LA's air. The diesel stink in those cities makes me sick, and the NOx/Ozone/CO is just as bad an eye-stinger as in LA.

I'm waiting for a hurricane to travel up the Gulf Current and wipe out Ireland and the UK. ;-<
Floyd

In re-reading that, it's a little unclear and even incorrect. How about: EU cars have not had to meet standards similar to those in the US until recently. Because the US has had stricter standards (for HC, CO and NOx) for about 10 years longer than EU, the average per-car emissions for those pollutants is lower in the US than the EU, on a per-mile basis.
Floyd
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I have never even seen a diesel SUV. I see a few big pickups (3/4 ton trucks or larger) with diesels. What part of the country has all these diesel SUVs?
--
-Fred W
Toys for sale, Hey get your toys here:

Curious, I checked the BMW US site: (Price and tax info removed)
Model     Fuel     Engine     Fuel consump.             0-62 mph
330d M Sport *     Diesel     2993cc     42.2 (37.2) mpg     6.8 (6.9) 330i M Sport *     Petrol     2996cc     31.7 (30.4) mpg     6.4 (6.8)
(auto trans)
Not bad, only 4 tenths of a second down on the 0-62 . and the auto trans penalty is only 1 tenth for the diesel. I guess the auto trans makes better use of the high torque.
MPG is much better. Still, I wonder if it's worth the penalty of waiting for the one diesel pump nozzle while many gas lanes are open at the filling stations.
One thing I didn't see in the table is weight distribution. If the diesel engine is heavier, what does it do to the F/R weight distribution?
-- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

Don't you mean the UK site?
The diesel engine is only slightly heavier than the gas engine IIRC, so the balance is hardly affected.
Floyd

oops.. Was thinking UK when I typed it. fingers decided to change it..
-- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.
The wagon will be available in RWD in the spring. I comes out this month in AWD - presumably for the New England market - and in RWD in the spring. (This is according to the July BMW dealer bulletin).

Less than half that is the AWD, IIRC.
Floyd
wrote

Close - 275 lbs more for the 325xi than the 325i. So the rwd 325it should come in around 3,500.
Tom

Hmmm. They've changed something. My '01 330xi is 209 lbs heavier than a 330i, and the 325i/325xi difference for 01 is 253 lbs.
Floyd
wrote

Looks like it. The '06 330xi/330i difference is virtually the same at 210 lbs. The only other difference is that the 325xi includes headlight washers & wipers which are standard on both 330 models. I guess the motor, wipers, plumbing & extra fluid accounts for 65 lbs! All figures are from
http://www.bmwusa.com /
Tom

Which raises another question: Is this full-time AWD, as in the Audi A4 with it's Torsen center diff, or is this a viscous or electronic clutch system that drives the extra two wheels only when the other end slips? (part-time AWD) -- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

The older system ('01 - present) in the 325xi/330xi is a 36/74 split full-time system. The new system (in the X3/X5 and now in 3 & 5 series) is the xDrive system, which you might call part-time.
Floyd
PS: Please post in plain text rather than html.

Can't be me.. I use Agent, text-only. -- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.
Floyd is a little out to lunch on his math. the '01 to '05 3 series xi are a 38% front / 62% rear full time system. ( 36 & 74 is 110% ) only sportscasters can get away with that. The new Xdrive is a FULL TIME AWD system ( you may not call it part-time ) which is infinitely variable. It can be 100% rear or 100% front or any combination in between the two and is monitored 100 times a second and adjusted according to driving requirements. BMW states that it is pro-active not re-active and adjusts before compensation is needed instead of reacting to loss of traction. It uses a central clutch to distribute drive and reacts five times faster than any other system.
snipped-for-privacy@canada.com
wrote

(Blushing)

"The X3 also debuts BMW's new xDrive, a nifty single-speed torque-transfer coupling with a microchip-administered multiplate clutch pack that constantly varies engine thrust between the front and rear axles from 100 percent rear to 50/50. Combined with brake-based traction control and a hill-descent function that works the brakes to control downward velocity, the xDrive is a more flexible doohickey than the planetary gear differential and its fixed 38-percent-front, 62-percent-rear torque split found in the 325xi and the '03 X5 (the '04 X5 also features xDrive)."

"This division of power covers a range extending infinitely from 50:50 all the way to 0:100. So in an extreme case the front and rear axles are either totally disconnected or linked firmly to one another, such a firm, rigid connection acting in the same way as a 100 per cent longitudinal lock on a conventional all-wheel-drive system. And since torque and engine power are re-distributed within a few milliseconds, the driver normally does not even notice such a change in power.
When driving straight-ahead under normal conditions, 60 per cent of the engine power goes to the rear axle, 40 per cent to the front."

This makes me wonder how they do it. If the thing uses a constantly-slipping mechanical clutch, how log will it last? Is it a wear item?
A helical gear differential (Torsen is the original brand) does automatic torque distribution instantly, without clutches or electronics. I don't know if they can be designed to do things like 60/40 splits though.
I tend to trust the simpler solution to a problem over the more complex one, such as a cable-operated throttle as opposed to an electronic one (Which has problems in manual trans Audis).
-- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.