Anyone ever tried to use VAG-COM for OBD on a BMW?

I've had VAG-COM (rel.409.1) software for a few years now for diags on VW/Audis, but it apparently also works in a 'generic' OBD1/2 mode also. I'm
curious to know if anyone here has heard of its use with any BMWs. I''' have ot try it on my E36 I think. cheers, JB