Argh! Tranny gone bad

Well, after 12 years of mostly problem-free service, my 2000 323 has succumbed to the dreaded "no reverse" problem. Damn it. I was hoping to get a few more years out of it.

Now I have to decide if a car with a book value of only a few grand, and is starting to show the first signs of rust, is worth getting a new tranny.

Reply to
dizzy

Update: Evidence is pointing to my car having the GM tranny, not the ZF, in which case it's only a selenoid. GM rules!

Reply to
dizzy

Think of this as an opportunity to retrofit a manual in there rather than as a failure.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Ha! Thanks for the advice, but I don't think so. My other car has a manual. It's nice to have both.

I tool it out for a drive this morning, and it worked perfectly! This compares with other accounts of read of the GM's solenoid going bad, which, of course, is much better than the ZF's catastrophic, and much more expensive, failure.

So, I guess I won't be getting a new car. :/

I've been thinking of the X1, probably the 6-cylinder. Hydraulic steering, and no start-stop! But only a 6-speed auto, instead of the

8-speed that most Bimmers are shipping with.
Reply to
dizzy

Well indeed - the fact it broke after only 12 years was primae facie evidence...

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Hold your horses.

If your car has ther GM5, you can fix the No Reverse problem for the price of a fluid flush and a solenoid that runs about 80 bucks.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You mean because the ZF doesn't last that long? I've got 140,000 miles.

I suppose I'll have to replace it eventually, but the E46 is just perfect for me. I honestly don't like the newer 3-series as much. The E90 is OK, I guess, but even that has a bunch of things I don't like, like run-flats and "push to start". Plus it's bigger than what I like.

Reply to
dizzy

Consider the 1-series. It still has a lot of goofy electronic stuff, but even the 128i is a fun car to drive.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I would, but for my main car I want a four-door. If I was going to buy a 2-door I'd have to pop for the last of the E90 coupes, which I like quite a bit, and still have the lovely 3.0L NA engine.

I've driven the X1 a couple times, and like it a lot, actually. It's essentially an E90 wagon, machanically. Of course, it's not particularly compact, but that's more forgivable, for an "SUV".

I'm kind of wondering if this isn't a sign that it's time to get a new vehicle. While there's some appeal of driving a vehicle into the ground, and getting all that value from it, I guess it wouldn't kill me to get a new car, every 12 years.

Reply to
dizzy

No exactly the opposite - I would not expect a ZF tranny to fail other than through abuse, whereas the GM one failing early was only to be expected...

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Don't look at me, I'm still driving the 2002 to work every day.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Apparently you have not heard of the fragile ZF trannies made around that time. Google "BMW no reverse". The ZF's broke much more catastrophically and much earlier. I'm lucky to have the GM in my car.

I really don't consider a solenoid going bad after 140,000 such a terrible thing. I'd prefer it didn't, of course, but things on cars do break, from time to time.

Reply to
dizzy

I guess if you like those old cars, they are easier to maintain yourself, which I presume you do. I take mine to the shop, for most things.

Reply to
dizzy