ASC+T and ASC+T/DSC

How do these 2 systems actually work? By using the ABS to brake a wheel. By reducing power. A combination of both. Or something else entirely? TIA Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I'm a bit out of touch now-a-days, but from memory ASC+T used to reduce the ignition timing, throttle (via a separate throttle butterfly) and brake the individual wheel(s) that was spinning.

From memory, DSC also used to monitor YAW and would try to straighten the vehicle by applying the brakes to the relevant wheels during acceleration to straighten it. When actually driving it, it could catch you out because if you are expecting a bit of oversteer, as you go to compensate, the DSC also compensates at the same time. Also had EBD, which would try to straighten the vehicle during braking, although may have been on ASC+T systems as well, can't remember.

For me, I prefer a LSD everytime. Maybe not as good in the snow and ice, but you know exactly what the vehicle is doing during normal driving. You can switch them off by holding the button down for 5 seconds, but then you have a conventional diff (except on the M-Powers). Just pressing the button quickly, doesn't totally disengage it, it will still apply the brakes.

Reply to
Ali

Sorry, forgot to mention that DSC also has a steering angle sensor (from memory is also provides steering speed as well), so it knows what position the steering wheel is in and what the driver is doing.

Reply to
Ali