Audi S4 or BMW M3?

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
I used to own a 330ci (2001) and loved this car, I fancied a change though and for the last 12 months have owned an Audi A4 3.0 Quattro, also a very
nice car but not quite as fun to drive as the BMW.
Now I'm looking at changing and I can't decide on an M3 or an S4, I've driven both a while back and I favoured the BMW, seemed like a more aggressive drive and had a lot of brute force.
But now when I look inside the BMW it all looks very dated, suppose that's why they're changing the 3 series, even if the Coupe / M3 won't be out until 2007 :-(. The Audi looks a lot more up to date but I don't know if the S4 is available with the face lift yet (do you know when?)
Has anybody owned both these cars, any advice would be welcome!
Thanks
Daz

until
I didn't own nor drive any of the 2 cars...but I wouldn't think at all. BMW my choice for sure.

LOL!

though
very
that's
S4
BMW
shut up :)

Have you looked at the 05 Infinity G35 coupe? I've been looking real hard for the past several months and I've just about decided this is the new standard. Driving performance right there with the BMW, more power and torque, more room, cheaper, resale as good as the BMW, better looks (IMO), etc., etc.
I think BMW really screwed up the back of the new 3. Looks like they ran out of parts and stuck a Hyundai rear end on a BMW. Or better yet, it looks almost identical to the old civic back rear ends. Interior styling is good, but not great and getting a bit dated. And, when in the world is BMW going to recognize all of their cars should have leather seats as standard equipment?
Just some food for thought!
"Jack Dotson" wrote

More power than M3??? What are you talking about???
Pete

Whoops, should have been more clear. I was speaking if reference to an alternative to the 330Ci he's getting rid of, not the M3.

When exactly did the G35 get more power, torque and performance than either the M3 or S4?
<snip>

(Off topic, perhaps, but I'd still like to know...)
Food for thought indeed - but would you please be so kind as to explain why you would like to have leather seats as standard? I for one would pay extra to remove them, I never understood why people would buy leather seats.
Just curious to why you would want them - and whether or not the majority of the owners buy leather (any figures, anyone?).
Princess Morgiah
"Princess Morgiah" wrote

Leather is easier to clean, so if you have small kids or if you let people eat/drink in your car, then the cleanup process may be easier.
But I'm with you - I prefer cloth. It grips your body better, and it also doesn't feel as hot/cold in hot/cold weather.
Cheers,
Pete

I didn't really want the leather but I would have had to special order my 330 to get one without. However...I was kinda glad I had them when some kid puked in the backseat.
--
Poseur
"That's just kooky talk." --Kramer

I personally prefer the feel of cloth to leather, and in a street application I would rather have it. For stuff like offroading, I prefer leather just because it's easy to clean. I had velour seats in my '73 2002, and those would have to be my alltime favorite, at least as far as upholstery goes.
Andrew

why
extra
I've sat on every kind of leather around, and I still prefer good cloth seats. Leatherette or vinyl simply being an abomination -- none of the virtues of cloth, but not as good as leather. Cloth is cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter, and grips you better in the corners. Why modern luxury cars don't even offer it as an option I can't figuure out... I'd pay to upgrade from leatherette to good cloth...
-Russ.
message

I guess it's a personal preference, but I don't know of many people who would choose not to have leather if cost was not an issue. I've had it in several cars and find it very comfortable and easy to maintain, not to mention the most that it looks much better (IMO). Having said that, I would like to hear from those BMW owners who have the leatherette, which is the standard for BMW. To be honest I looked at the leather and leatherette side by side and didn't notice a difference until I read about it and found that some of the cars I was looking at didn't have real leather. I'm thinking this might not be a bad thing if the leatherette is easier to take care of and more durable than real leather.
Regards, Jack
Jack Dotson wrote:

I have leather in 2 of my BMWs (540i and Z3) and leatherette in another (325i) which is the car my wife drives mostly. The leatherette is no more or less comfortable than real leather. People that claim otherwise may never have owned a BMW with it. IMO, it looks much better (even new) than the PLeather substitutes from other manufacturers. It holds up to wear better and is far easier to care for than real leather.
For a car that gets a lot of daily / family use I would highly recommend it over real leather.
YMMV, -Fred W

until
FWIW heres my thoughts, I have an M3 and I test drove an S4 some time back.
Seen a few old style 03/4 RS6's etc around quite cheap and Audi website has a new RS4 and S4 on it.
BMW, M3 residuals will take a knock when date for new one confirmed although this is (according to most) at least 12-18 month away. General feeling on M3 boards is they have already taken a slight knock with the E90 being launched.
As you have discovered Audi is not as involving to drive but it is a more relaxed and possibly refined drive. M3 can be a bit harsh but depends what you want.
Looks... IMO Audi doesn't look as sporty or dynamic. It looks like a cruiser where as M3 is a bit more agressive. But BMW looks are diluted by the number of 318 Sports with 18" alloys. M3 doesn't look any different to to uneducated.
Exclusivity... I live in the back of beyond yet I saw 3 other M3 cabs yesterday, didn't see and Audi S4.
Performance... BMW is quicker but not*that* much on the road plus V8 is a bit lazier in its drive to the BMWs racier 6. Top Gear did a good comparison and the S4 came out a bit quicker round the track but the M3 was quicker in a straight line. They chose the M3 overall because they liked it hooligan approch with DSC off. Audis aren't very good hooligans.
I think that the S4 sits somewhere between the 330 and the M3, the RS4 is between an M3 and a CSL. Its difficult to make an even comparison. I'd say an M3 is aimed at a 30 something work-hard, play-hard. The S4 is for the 30 something whos workd-hard and played-hard and needs a rest.
I can't see BMW doing an M3/M4 tourer as its not part of the M heritage so my next car is likely to be an RS4 or RS6 Avant due to growing kids etc plus I'm reaching the "need a rest" stage ;-)

You should write for a magazine, excellent comparison, thanks!!!
I think I'm at the work-hard, play-hard stage, M3 for me!!
I know the value will drop but I'd hope it would still be a decent deposit on a new M3 when they start taking orders, in fact I might see if they'll give me a guaranteed value...
Thanks
Daz

The only way I know of to get a guaranteed value at trade in is to lease it. If you're going to be getting the e90 M3 when they come out and won't go over mileage, this is the way to go.
Kyle. 97 M3 98 740iL

very
on
more
what
hooligan
is
say
so
As long as your ready for a financial kick in the goolies at trade in go fo it. Like you say though, a deposit on an E90 may help but a good low mileage car is the best seller.
Before you buy have a look at www.bm3w.co.uk for a lot of UK support and tips on buying an M3 and what to expect in the way of "service bulletins".
Daz wrote:

Well if you live by this motto, why bother with an M3? To me, they look cheap; like a giant plastic toy. Hardly something to drive around in when you "play hard" Why not go with an M5, M6, or better... why not go with a Ferrari?
What about one of these:
http://www.tuningnews.net/news/050706/brabus-e-v12-biturbo.php
Now, there's a good definition of "work hard, play hard stage", since you are in this stage, I think these cars fit better. And with that crazy torque coming in less than 2000 rpm on that Brabus, your neck can also live up to your claim.