audio problem

I have a 1995 E36 (i.e. BMW 325) convertible with a completely stock, non-HK stereo, i.e. cassette/radio in the dash and CD changer in the trunk. When I
turn it on (radio/cassette/CD - it doesn't matter which) it only plays from the right side speakers until I turn it up to about 60% at which point the left side speakers start to play. When this happens the volume drops from the RH speakers, presumably because some power is now being to the LH speakers.
The problem (apart from the fact that I'd like to have stereo even at low volumes) is that because it is sending power to only one set of speakers, they play much louder, so it is hard to get a required volume level.
Does anyone know what could be the problem and how I would fix it? I want to keep the current (stock) head unit if possible.
Dan

The head unit is most likely the problem. You might not have to buy a new one. Some non-HK units can be repaired. I know specifically the Panasonics can be. Talk nicely to your BMW Parts counter man about sending your old one off for diagnosis. I believe that if it can't be fixed that there is no charge for the diagnosis.
Its likely the deck and BMW will charge you a royal penny to fix it. I'd just put a new deck in if I were you. I just put a new Business CD in my 95 318Ti and I love it. Only problem for you is this. 1995 and previous models used a different CD changer than the 1996 and newer models. If you get a Business CD you will not be able to use your changer any more.
Good luck with it.
Glenn