Auto Wipers

Page 1 of 4
Hi All,
Yesterday, we went for a 170 mile trip in our 2009 335d SE. Odometer now up to 1648 miles. Will do an oil + filter change next week.
During the trip, we experienced rainy conditions from misty spray to heavy rain.
This is the first time we have driven this car in the wet.
The Auto Wipers function was tested extensively, and after a poor start, they behaved very well indeed. The wiping modes automatically changed from a single sweep now and then, to slow continuous wiping and to fast wiping speeds, without intervention from the driver.
This was far better than the previous experiences of Auto Wipers on previous BMWs.
By the way, Asda are selling Mobil 1 5w-30 ESP for 33 for a 5 litre bottle. This is BMW LL-04 spec, which I 'think' incorporates LL-01 spec and LL-98 spec, too. This is cheap. I bought 3 bottles. The 335d takes 7.5 litres at oil change.
I also found that it is not possible to turn off the ignition whislt moving, which might worry some drivers that think that if the electronic 'throttle' control 'sticks' open, then the engine cannot be turned off. Hence, I will be fitting a (hidden) fuel pump kill switch to this car too.
I have found it handy to be able to turn off the electric fuel pump when;
Doing oil changes - to prevent the engine starting and running without oil pressure, Doing compression checks - stops unburnt fuel entering and damaging the catalytic contertor, Depressurising the injector system - to work on the fuel system, and An additional immobilisation device.
Best regards
David Skelton
--- ---
---
David Skelton wrote:

Why? AFAIK only the M cars have running in oil to start with that needs changing out early.
Changing ordinary oil too soon, like being gentle with a new car is a great way of glazing the bores and giving the car a lifetime of drinking oil between services.
--
Scott

---
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:36:01 +0100, "David Skelton"

..ahh..you don't believe these then..
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/runin.htm
<pedant on> Where's the "throttle" on a 335d?<pedant off> ;-)

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 19:00:10 +0100, Zathras

That's one of the most ghastly web sites I've ever seen. I couldn't bear to read very much of it, it made my eyes hurt.

David Baker's still around then? He has to be one of the most self-important and opinionated people out there.
I am not disagreeing with you, I'm just suggesting that you need some sources with better presentation and credibility.

But absolutely spot on most of the time.
--
*It's this dirty because I washed it with your wife's knickers*

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 00:03:54 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

But when he's called out for being wrong about something, his "personality defects" become even more apparent, his ego can't handle it, and all his toys go out of the pram.

Not found that at all. Of course being 'wrong' can just be an opinion.
--
*Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump *

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 13:06:51 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

I can stick to my *opinion* that the earth is flat if I want to. The *fact* is that it isn't. That's the difference. Sometimes you've just got to admit that you were wrong and, without all the drama and tantrums, move on.

All I can say is your experience of Mr Baker is very different to mine. I've never met him personally, but have received (free) advice from him on a number of occasions. His web site is a wealth of information (based mainly on his own practical experience) full of things not that readily available elsewhere. I agree he can be blunt - but nowt wrong with that. ;-)
When it comes to modifying engines for performance, there are lots of ways to skin a cat, as they say.
--
*Marathon runners with bad footwear suffer the agony of defeat*

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:28:52 -0400, Dean Dark

Well done..shot the messenger! Sites look completely legible on my monitors. Perhaps style over substance is your thing?

Recently retired AFAIK.

What did *I* say?!

Eh? Two hugely experienced, professional, independent race engine builders from two different countries. What expertise do you possess to even question their credibility?

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 09:09:17 +0100, Zathras

*Now* who's shooting the messenger?
If you read carefully, I was just pointing out that a) someone who learned a few HTML tags and thinks he can put together a "web site" and b) an egomaniac, are not the best showcases for engineering knowledge, no matter how sound most of it may be.
Do you see?
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 06:41:42 -0400, Dean Dark

Yes..no expertise whatsoever..

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 16:34:53 +0100, Zathras

Oh, dear. You *don't* see, do you? Carry on shooting...
---
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 12:01:38 +0100, "David Skelton"

I'm not sure the differences you suggest are significant in regard to cylinder walls and piston rings being run in.

Yes that's definitely an issue.

Manufacturers are a bit limited in what they can say in regards to how an engine should be driven. For example the can't suggest breaking the law or driving in particularly aggressive ways.
Manufacturers can also get things wrong. The UK MOT can be a bit unnerving for some diesel owners when they discover the max rev part.

I've also found mechanics can be out of date with their advice.

From experience, aggressively!

That assume the odometer went in at zero and the car actually has any miles on it. It is a digital odometer, so they could reset it to zero after testing, but why bother? Who is going to care in the long run?
If the odometer went into the car with 5 or 6 miles on it, it could easily be a mile from the dock to the parking space, and another mile back to the transport truck. How aggressively can a car be driven in a parking lot full of cars?
How aggressively can a car be driven in 8 miles, no matter what the surroundings are? Keep in mind that the "problem" to be cured is an oil change to keep any aggressive driving damage to a minimim? Seriously.
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 09:35:41 -0700, "Jeff Strickland"

LOL..I've seen cold starts on *full* throttle followed by wheel spins, gear changes, reverse and forward and manoeuvring of vehicles without reducing the throttle from flat until the guy gets out after moving the car a couple of hundred yards!!
Think about it. "Right guys..you've got 500 cars to move and it's a fixed payment for the job..".

Accelerator flat to the boards and just use the clutch. When I saw it happening to Volvos, it was such an incredible and violent sight, I was transfixed and watch these transporters shift a staggering amount of cars (accurately) in a stunningly short time. I could certainly see smoke from clutches.

I'm not sure how effective this policy is though. Running in is a process involving deliberate and relatively high levels of engine wear. I've heard it said that having a dirty oil can assist this process where having a clean oil can hinder this process.
I while back, I owned ex-hire cars that had no oil change for the first 15000 miles and were over 50% late for an oil change. They were cheap! These cars were never treated remotely carefully but every one had excellent engines that have since gone on to cover over 200000 miles without internal overhaul. The tended not to need oil top-ups.
Personally speaking, I don't know which camp (treat it rough or the more gentle sort with frequent oil changes) is correct so I tend to steer in between the two. I treat my cars rough and change the oil a bit more frequently than manufacturers recommend. So far, so good! ;-)

The differences of cylinder pressure, and relative ring speed are significant, and that a race engine is not expected to last 200,000 miles, is it ???

Of course... but it is them whom will have to pay for the repairs if their advice is followed and it is wrong. Difficult to prove, I know.

I agree, there are things I do not like about BMWs

There will be some whom tow the manufacturer's line, others whom will be honest. But, Mastertechs *usually* know their stuff. Extensive training and monitoring, checking items replaced under warranty for manufacturing defects, or imperfect assembly / repair previously attempted, and reporting back to BMW to assist product enhancment helps convince me. The mechanics that rush the jobs to gain bonus payments often do shoddy work practices and miss out tasks, those I would not trust.

best wishes
David Skelton
--- ---