Auto Wipers

Hi All,

Yesterday, we went for a 170 mile trip in our 2009 335d SE. Odometer now up to

1648 miles. Will do an oil + filter change next week.

During the trip, we experienced rainy conditions from misty spray to heavy rain. This is the first time we have driven this car in the wet.

The Auto Wipers function was tested extensively, and after a poor start, they behaved very well indeed. The wiping modes automatically changed from a single sweep now and then, to slow continuous wiping and to fast wiping speeds, without intervention from the driver.

This was far better than the previous experiences of Auto Wipers on previous BMWs.

By the way, Asda are selling Mobil 1 5w-30 ESP for £33 for a 5 litre bottle. This is BMW LL-04 spec, which I 'think' incorporates LL-01 spec and LL-98 spec, too. This is cheap. I bought 3 bottles. The 335d takes 7.5 litres at oil change.

I also found that it is not possible to turn off the ignition whislt moving, which might worry some drivers that think that if the electronic 'throttle' control 'sticks' open, then the engine cannot be turned off. Hence, I will be fitting a (hidden) fuel pump kill switch to this car too.

I have found it handy to be able to turn off the electric fuel pump when;

Doing oil changes - to prevent the engine starting and running without oil pressure, Doing compression checks - stops unburnt fuel entering and damaging the catalytic contertor, Depressurising the injector system - to work on the fuel system, and An additional immobilisation device.

Best regards

David Skelton

David Skelton

Oops, that should be "convertor"

David Skelton

Why? AFAIK only the M cars have running in oil to start with that needs changing out early.

Changing ordinary oil too soon, like being gentle with a new car is a great way of glazing the bores and giving the car a lifetime of drinking oil between services.

Reply to
Scott M

(tongue in cheek)

If you remember to operate this switch you could remember to put the oil in before starting?

Compression checks are old hat. A leakdown test is the way these days. But I wouldn't expect to be doing one until the engine has reached a huge mileage. However, to do a compression check you have to remove the coils - and I'd be rather surprised if the ECU opened the injectors under those conditions.

A decent system will retain pressure for ages after the pump stops so you'd be wise to take the normal precautions.

Anyone clever enough to bypass the BMW immobiliser would soon find a switch?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I do not believe I am changing the oil too soon. In fact, it cannot harm to do so. Changing the oil every day would not create bore glazing.

We have not been too gentle with the car either, but have run it in as per the hand book. Varying loads and engine speeds and keeping below 3500 rpm for the first 1250 miles. Even at only about 3/4 throttle, we saw over 30 p.s.i. in the inlet manifold. Still have not been full throttle yet...

regards

David Skelton

David Skelton

????

Actually, on our (petrol) Ford Focus, one of the injectors had been leaking causing hot start problems and, I thought, bore washing. A compression check is good for checking for this.

It works well enough to remove the injectors without floods of petrol everywhere.

Only if they knew to look for one. But we have other cars too. In fact, over the last 27 years, we had had between us 77 cars.

best wishes

David Skelton

David Skelton

..ahh..you don't believe these then..

Where's the "throttle" on a 335d? ;-)

Reply to
Zathras

That's one of the most ghastly web sites I've ever seen. I couldn't bear to read very much of it, it made my eyes hurt.

David Baker's still around then? He has to be one of the most self-important and opinionated people out there.

I am not disagreeing with you, I'm just suggesting that you need some sources with better presentation and credibility.

Reply to
Dean Dark

"David Skelton" wrote

You must not have done it correctly. If you hold the stop/start switch for

2 seconds, the engine will shut down, no matter whether you are moving or whether you are still in gear.

I just tried this on my 335d.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

But absolutely spot on most of the time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well done..shot the messenger! Sites look completely legible on my monitors. Perhaps style over substance is your thing?

Recently retired AFAIK.

What did *I* say?!

Eh? Two hugely experienced, professional, independent race engine builders from two different countries. What expertise do you possess to even question their credibility?

Reply to
Zathras

Fantastic..a car just like my PC..ok, it needs 4 seconds!

Reply to
Zathras

But when he's called out for being wrong about something, his "personality defects" become even more apparent, his ego can't handle it, and all his toys go out of the pram.

Reply to
Dean Dark

*Now* who's shooting the messenger?

If you read carefully, I was just pointing out that a) someone who learned a few HTML tags and thinks he can put together a "web site" and b) an egomaniac, are not the best showcases for engineering knowledge, no matter how sound most of it may be.

Do you see?

Reply to
Dean Dark

Thanks, that is good to know.

best wishes

David Skelton

David Skelton

The first is a builder of high revving race engines, not the same as a diesel road engine.

The second, well I followed most of that advice, but going full throttle for 10 seconds in fourth or fifth gear will put you into licence losing territory within ten seconds if you are already moving. Even in manual mode, the gear box will still shift down at approaching full throttle, therefore not keeping the revs below the *manufacturers* guidance ( whom has a lot more experience of their engines than any 'builder', BTY).

So we did, from 200 miles, do several short 1/2 throttle bursts in a high gear every time we went out in it.

I think you will find most mechanics will change the oil in their own car (if it was new) after about the first 1500 miles.

We collected the car with 8 miles registered on the odometer, no idea how it was driven during that time.

The engine is test run at the engine factory before shipping it to the car assembly plant, which is hundreds of miles away from the engine factory.

I agree that the first oil, or engine fill at the factory should not be fully synthetic, but that would ruin the DPF as it needs to be a low SAPS oil, not available as a non fully synthetic.

best regards

David Skelton

David Skelton

Most higher end cars are stolen these days *with* the ignition key gained from residential robberies, or, as I have seen, a *fake* accident where the desired car is bumped at a junction, the driver gets out and is overpowered and the car is then taken.

The fuel pump kill device does not have to be a switch. I have used a phono jack plug and socket as a link in the circuit before. The more 'ways' on the jack, the better. Some have four connections, only two need to be linked. That is six combinations of possible circuits it could be to make the fuel pump circuit complete.

best wishes

David Skelton

David Skelton

Not found that at all. Of course being 'wrong' can just be an opinion.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I can stick to my *opinion* that the earth is flat if I want to. The

*fact* is that it isn't. That's the difference. Sometimes you've just got to admit that you were wrong and, without all the drama and tantrums, move on.
Reply to
Dean Dark

All I can say is your experience of Mr Baker is very different to mine. I've never met him personally, but have received (free) advice from him on a number of occasions. His web site is a wealth of information (based mainly on his own practical experience) full of things not that readily available elsewhere. I agree he can be blunt - but nowt wrong with that. ;-)

When it comes to modifying engines for performance, there are lots of ways to skin a cat, as they say.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)