Bearings, wheel stuck!! BMW 318

Firstly I am hoping it is only my bearings that are the problem! I have replaced the full exhaust sysytem as I thought that was the problem! Now I have a loud humming, you could call it coming from the rear driver side wheel and gets louder with speed! We have determined it to be the whell bearings! Now we cannot get the wheel of any suggestions please please!! :? 318i 1995

Reply to
Redangel66

No joke. I had this once when I was in the trade and firstly we had to use an oxy torch to remove 2 wheel bolts then we found the wheel - like yours - had corroded to the hub flange.

Again heating with the torch expanded the wheel centre enough to allow a bloody great whack with a 10lb hammer on a 3" sq strip of wood to jar the wheel free from the centre of the hub.

When off clean away the corrosion and use copper grease to stop further corrosion there.

Reply to
hsg

Step 1.) Remove the lug nuts. I like to loosen them then put the car on the jack stands. I put all of this into one step because nobody would ever take the lug nuts (lug bolts, as in the case of a BMW) without lifting the car at some point.

Step 2.) Use a large hammer and a block of wood -- place the wood against the back (inside portion) of the tire and soundly smash the shit our of it with the large hammer.

When you get down to taking the brake rotors off, you are going to need that hammer and block of wood again.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thankyou for your response. Was the wheel on or off when this was carried out/or taken to bits? We have tried hitting it, no luck! Oiled it etc., to try and loosen it.

"hsg" wrote: > On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:22:17 GMT, Redangel66 > wrote: > > >Firstly I am hoping it is only my bearings that are the > problem! I > >have replaced the full exhaust sysytem as I thought that was > the > >problem! Now I have a loud humming, you could call it coming > from the > >rear driver side wheel and gets louder with speed! We have > determined > >it to be the whell bearings! Now we cannot get the wheel of > any > >suggestions please please!! :? 318i 1995 > > No joke. I had this once when I was in the trade and firstly > we had to use an > oxy torch to remove 2 wheel bolts then we found the wheel - > like yours - had > corroded to the hub flange. > > Again heating with the torch expanded the wheel centre enough > to allow a bloody > great whack with a 10lb hammer on a 3" sq strip of wood to jar > the wheel free > from the centre of the hub. > > When off clean away the corrosion and use copper grease to > stop further > corrosion there. > > -- > > Sir Hugh of Bognor > > The difference between men and boys is the price of their > toys. > > Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and > how to find it! > > Hugh Gundersen > snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk > Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK

Reply to
Redangel66

I'm amazed at the brute force techniques people are suggesting. Some of them sound like an excellent way to destroy a tire or rim.

Jack up that corner of the car - loosen the wheel lugs. Retighten them finger tight, then loosen 1 turn.

Lower the car. Start it, go in reverse about 1' and hit the brake HARD. You should hear a "snap" noise from the wheel coming free. Repeat as needed until it comes free (I've never had to do more than once..) The lugs will hold it on so the corner doesn't fall down.

When it's off - clean the center of the rim, and the hub it sits on. Any decent grease put around the inside of the rim center will keep it from happening again. Do not grease the wheel lugs - they go on dry.

Reply to
admin

Wheel was on 5 series right hand rear and on the car and stuck very firmly - took us about an hour to get it off.

Reply to
hsg