Belt tension 1994 740i

The main belt is very slack. I have adjusted the tension as far as it will go. does the alternater or the power stearing have adjustments on them.

Time for a new belt.

Paul Rood wrote:

You can adjust the belt tension on M60 engine?

The fan belt. The cams run on chains!
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

This I need to know. How?
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/yaofengchen/BMW_95_540/DSC_2750.jpg
I thought both tensioners are non-adjustable.

Badly. The a/c and main serpentine belts both have adjustors. In my opinion they are fragile (I managed to break the a/c belt adjustor very easily) and badly designed. Progress I suppose.......
Give me the old method of moving the alternator bracket any day!
Paul Rood wrote:

Your belt has an automatic tensioner. Is that tensioner maxed out or just stuck? If it has reached its max extension then you need a new belt, but I have never seen a serpentine belt stretch that far.
More likely, you belt tensioner has gone TU. Here is a diagram:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GD43&mospidG362&btnr _1238&hg&fg
Item #11 is the tensioner for the main (alternator, water pump, power steering) belt.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GD43&mospidG362&btnr _1413&hg&fg
Item #11 in this picture is the tensioner for the smaller AC belt.
--
-Fred W

Fred W wrote:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GD43&mospidG362&btnr _1238&hg&fg

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GD43&mospidG362&btnr _1413&hg&fg

Something I just thought of... In both cases there are little adjusters to allow you to remove and install the belts. Perhaps the bolt for that has jusy come loose? The bolts in question are marked items 9&10 on both diagrams.
--
-Fred W