Big Ben in my BMW 5 series ....

Hi All,

A few weeks ago, I bought a second hand 525d .... Every hour, Big Ben is ringing in the car :-) This is not really a problem, except it rings loudly and I have a heart attack each time !!

Does anyone have an idea on how I can deactivate that feature ? I didn't find anything in the user's manual. Note that the car is the current model with I Drive system.

Thanks to everyone who will help save my heart.

Reply to
research

Check the boot for large bells ;-}

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

There is a button in my car that says MEMO. This button is to set a reminder that you want to do something, perhaps set the radio to BBC, or whatever. The button is a toggle, press it to turn the feature on, press again to set it to off.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Sounds like you have set a speed reminder or something similar. Perhaps it's quite cold outside - under 4 deg C = frost warning.

Lights on when door open?

Oodles of things.

Read the handbook and look at all the setting you can set with iDrive and zero them all - then you could add up all the numbers in the VIN code and press the dash reset that number of times to bring up the computer reset system - that's the E65 system don't know if the 5 series is the same but a chat with a dealer wouldn't go amiss.

Reply to
hsg

E39? E60? model year? Give us a hint.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

On my E39, when the memo feature is enabled, I get a tone at one minute before the top of the hour.

Reply to
Pepperoni Pizza

On my E38 you can activate 3 beeps about 20s before the hour - useful to put the radio on for the news.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

No idea if it's an E39 or E60, all I can say is that it's the current model (3 years old).

Reply to
research

That's it .... that's it .... Please, where can I deactivate it ? :-))))

Reply to
research

Since you have I-drive - you may want to go to the friendly local dealer and ask one of the sales-droids to demonstrate how to disable "MEMO"..

I'm certain no normal mortal could find it within the labyrinthine menus of I-Drive.

Reply to
admin

Usually iDrive gives the option on the top line - look for it ... on-off

try it -- too simple for mere mortals?

Reply to
hsg

E60 then. You'll find the function somewhere in Idrive (WhyDrive?). Isn't there a pretty comprehensive manual for this?

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

Yes, there is a manual .... Is it pretty comprehensive, probably .... But it's also quite large and doesn't contain a good index for quick access !!

Reply to
research

I finally found a feature called "Memo" under the clock setting; that's the Big Ben !!

Thanks to all of you for your ideas :-)

Reply to
research