big problems please help

my friends 1992 520i needed servicing so we did it as it was a cheap car. he later went on to look on a website for ways to reset serv/insp lights and tried bridging 7/14/19 in the inspection socket wich clearly didnt
work. any1 with ideas what has happened and how to fix it your help would be great cheers

There must be a million articles out there on how to do this.
But all you need to do is ground pin 11 then switch on the ignition without starting the engine. Then turn off when the oil service lights re-set. To re-set the inspection light leave on longer.
--
*60-year-old, one owner - needs parts, make offer

ITS NOT HOW TO RESET LIGHTS THE CAR WONT START ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO GET IT SORTED

You've probably f**cked something up, then. Seek professional help.
--
*Why can't women put on mascara with their mouth closed?

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 20:50:38 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

You're on your own with this one, Dave.
--
Dan.

Have you fried the ECU by sticking volts into the wrong pins?
No need to YELL. You did not make it clear what the trouble is.
As Dave said, there are tons of websites out there that give the procedure. He goes on to say Pin 11, but I think this is an error.
In any case, you do not seem interested in the right way to reset the lights as much as you want to know what the recovery operation is after doing it wrong.
It sounds like in your stupidity you managed to blow the computer to smitherings, if so then you are pretty much on your own.

Worse yet, it sounds like he did it to a friend's car.
Eisboch

Or spend a tenner getting a reset tool from euro car parts. I use one as it saves the danger of grounding the wrong pins by accident!

It should be 7 & 19. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-11039.html There is a different (and easier) way to do modern cars (e46, etc.) Pin 14 is 12v. Shorting that to ground (pin 19) and the service interval Pin 7, is *NOT* a good thing. As some other people have mentioned, you've probably fried something.
FloydR
IVE BEEN TOLD THIS PROBLEM COULD BE A FUEL CUT OFF ANY IDEAS ON WHERE IT COULD BE ON A 1992 520I CHEERS
IVE BEEN TOLD ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM IF ANY1 OUT THERE KNOWS WHAT IT IS AND/OR HOW TO SORT IT GIVE US A SHOUT CHEERS

Symptoms? Does it turn over and not catch or is it totally dead?
THIS GUY IS CLEARLY A FOOL! caps, no details as to if it cranks or not... troll? or just a fool? join here and search till u turn blue liney http://www.bimmer.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f &page=1&sort=lastpost&order=&pp`&daysprune=-1
or turn off your caps and explain the exact symptoms, then we may be able to help.
John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland

sorry about the capitals guys it does crank over all lights on dash come on and seems normal but when i try to crank it over it turns but dont start any ideas
if it is the computer is it the 1 under the bonet or the 2 under the back seat cheers for your help lads
PS: sorry again for the capitals didnt realise it was a bad thing
liney wrote:

You did put the service socket cap back on?
yeah its back on but still dont work is there a fuel cut off switch and any ideas where it is ive been told this might be the problem apart from that i think it might be fubar ed maybe need a new cpu

Maybe you've upset the alarm system?